Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Drivetrain noise, possibly clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Default Drivetrain noise, possibly clutch?

I have an all stock 97 civic with the manual transmission. I have a ticking sound coming from the transmission area when I let off of the clutch to change gears. My friend thinks it is the clutch but maybe some of you guys can help me narrow it down. The ticking noise is similar to a bicycle wheel that has a stick rubbing the spokes.

This noise sometimes continues when I am in gear and moving, but mostly just as I let off the clutch to shift gears. This noise also happens if I start going and then let off the accelerator while still in gear. This noise does not happen at freeway speeds, but it does happen in all gears except 5th. This noise changes with the RPM's.

Any ideas?

Old 11-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Default RE: Drivetrain noise, possibly clutch?

It could be your mainshaft input bearing in the transmission? It is not really common but I have replaced them for that sort of noise discription.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 AM

Well, I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throwout and release bearings, but the noise is still there. I let a mechanic I know listen to it and he believes it is the mainshaft input bearing, so teammo was right on. Unfortunately I am going to have to take everything back apart now. What all has to be done to replace the mainshaft input bearing?

Old 11-29-2006, 10:51 PM

Split the Trans case,remove reverse gear and reverse selector, I going by memory I think you need to remove the alien bolt from inside the clutch housing in order to slide the gear slector assembly out of the way . This will allow you to remove the main shaft and Counter shafts together. From the clutch housing go through the main shaft hole with a long punch and knock out the main shaft bearing. and change the oil seal too.
Hope this helps . Not recommended for the novice