Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

double clutching

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 01:25 AM
Default double clutching

i'm kinda new to the actual "racing" scene, and i am curious. I hear people telling others to double clutch or short shift when they race what is each one and how do you do them.

Thanks, Mario

Old 10-24-2004, 01:53 AM
Default RE: double clutching

double clutch... is not a racing term. it will slow you down.

normal clutching is, press clutch in, switch gear, release clutch, mash gas.

double clutching is, press clutch in, pull gear to neutral, release clutch, re-engage clutch, put in next gear, release clutch, mash gas.

short shift, I believe you mean speed shifting. Short shifter is a noun, it's the actual piece that is used to shift. Just means when you do normal clutching you're pulling your tranny out of one gear and into the next as fast as you humanly can so you can get back on the gas and accelerate more. This can actually knock .2-.5 or so off your ET when done properly without "chirping" your tires.

Old 10-24-2004, 04:18 AM
HCF Member

Double clutching was used back in the day when there wasn't a syncro. You would have to rev up between shifts to match the RPM of the gear. It's totally useless now a days and anyone who tells you to do it is a retard, tell them to quit watching fast and furious, haha.

Short shifting... maybe he means something different like speed shifting. Its where you never let off the gas. You got hrough the motions with the clutch and all, but just dont come off the gas. Dont do it too much because it will burn up your clutch.

Old 10-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 10-25-2004, 01:51 AM

sorry about improper term usage. i'm kind of a noob. thanks for the explanations

Old 10-25-2004, 01:44 PM

they suggest us to double clutch in my work truck. but most of us dont even use the clutch other than when sitting at a stop light.

i had alwasy wondered what the purpose for double clutching in a car would be though. it never seemed to make much sense

Old 10-25-2004, 05:57 PM
HCF Member

yeah, it gives the gears time to match speeds to make gear changes easier. really useless on modern syncronized trannys. maybe on the Coke truck though. hehe.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Cat Fuсker

Guy's, I know all of you think double clutching is useless, but think about this: when you downshift without it don't you hear a whine of the synchros? And if you double-clutch properly doesn't it just "fall" into gear? It's up to you, but I'd rather leave less work to synchros and make my tranny last longer...

just my two cents

Old 11-15-2004, 10:55 PM

is this true?!?!?!

Old 11-15-2004, 11:04 PM
HCF Member

I don't know about the rest of you but when I downshift, I blip the gas to match the revs before putting it in gear. This will put less stress on your tranny (and is a smoother ride too). Technically, you don't even need a clutch or synchros to change gears. This is called power shifting and is EXTREMELY difficult to do consistently.

The basic concept is that if you are matching revs perfectly, the gear will slip in without the clutch. If the revs are NOT matched perfectly... you will get the familiar gear grinding sound...

Quick Reply: double clutching