Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Door Sag

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 04:26 PM
HCF Member
Default Door Sag

Hey guys, i got an EJ1 coupe and the driver door from being opened about 200,000 times is starting to sag when you open it and when you close it, you can see it pop up a little bit to get on the hinge. it also leaks some air when driving 60+ mph... what's the method to get the sag out of there and re-seal all the trim?

has anyone else had to to deal with this?

thanks for the help,
James

Old 02-28-2009, 10:15 PM

tighten the hinge bolts?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:53 PM
HCF Member

Well I would like to think it's that easy but they are tight for the most part..... Is there a common problem that I don't know about? And do I just go to the Honda dealer for new weather stripping and door rubber to seal the air out?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:54 PM

yea they can get you a new door seal

are you sure the hinges aren't bent or maybe rusted out?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

door sag is very common for any vehicle.... your door pins and bushings are just worn out.
but on a 92-00civic you have to replace the both upper and lower door hinges because you cannt replace the bushing on them.
i THINK it was like 100-150bucks new at dealership....

a simple test is open the door almost half way and then pick up and down on the end bottom corner of the door if it moves up and down your hinges just need replaced.
so if you replace your hinges do yourself a HUGE FAVOR BEFORE REMOVING THE HINGES!!!!!!!!! TRACE THE HINGES ON THE CAR AND ON THE DOOR BEFORE LOOSING ANY BOLTS! this will give you perfect alignment for the new door hinges. and only remove one hinge at a time. its not a hard job as long as you trace the door hinges that way you can get it perfect just by lining the new ones up with your marker lines on all 4 hinge flanges.

BUT if yours doesnt move up and down then it might just be your door hinges need adjusted. now adjusting the door can be a PITA to get just right. definatly trial and error!

Old 03-01-2009, 09:30 AM
HCF Member

yeah, i checked the bolts and tried picking the door up and down when it was open at various points but it seems pretty sturdy and moved the whole car in the process. how do you adjust door hinges? i have never done that type of thing before... what about the latch as well? it does not seem as "good" as the passenger side but still latches the door closed.

thanks again,

Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

you sure the door doesnt move any... it wont move much... even a 1/4inch of sag will make the door hard to close.
so if the pin are not really tight and have no movement at all, only then would i try adjusting the door hinges! and STILL you should outline the door hinges on all 4 points so IF it doesnt work out at all you have something to go back to.

to adjust the doors angle front and back its the hinges on the body. or if the door is angled outwars or inwards towards the car then its the hinges on the door.

you can even look at your door pins... chances are they are worn because door hinge bolts dont just come loose very often. even tho you think your door pins are perfect i bet they are worn....
the bushings are just copper or brass pieces not to sure exactly but they do wear, and wear even faster if they are not kept lubed up.

this was my 94civics door hinge pins that where badly worn.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:17 AM

get new hinges off a junker if you find they need replacement. unless you want to buy new ones, lol.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well if ya buy used ones just be sure to look really close to the bushings!
i got lucky and found some used parts localy pretty cheap and i got the hinges off them and they were good still. but new is best....

just be sure to lube up all of your hinge bushings afew times a year at least... doesnt take but 30seconds to spray all 4 hinges from time to time.
if the bushings are never lubed they will again wear out fast! but if you keep them lubed up they will last along time!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 PM
HCF Member

thanks a lot guys, i will do that when the weather gets a little nicer and i'm not so sore...i just played 4 football games in a row lol

but i'm assuming thats the culprit right there...how easy are the hinges to replace once i find some good ones or new ones? i might go look at the junkyard once i get back to portland....

Quick Reply: Door Sag