Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Door FROZE shut

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 09:06 AM
Default Door FROZE shut

aight last night it started raining and then it stopped at about 1 am. and then the temp dipped to about 9 degrees. My door froze shut. i guess because the water slipped into the cracks and then froze sealing the doors. now i have a question. is there some way i can stop this from happening. like a solution i can smear in the door jamb? Oh yeah in case you're wondering, the way i opened the door. is i used the keyless entry to unlock the door and pulled the handle and i felt like it ws going to pull the handle off and leave the door where it was. so i went over to passenger side and tried and the same thing happened. so then i went inside and tried to find something to use to open it. I grabbed my dad's grill spatula and slipped in into the door crack while i was pulling the handle to release the door. and pried the door open. lol. i felt like my car was ghetto. i know ppl were standing outside like WTF?!? lol

ahh as for my signature. as soon as i find one to put there i will change it. i am still thinking it should be changed before the weekend is over. ok mods thanks for the ummmmhhhh..........delays. You know that thing has been up there for like 6 weeks and noone hassaid anything about it until now.

Old 12-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Default RE: Door FROZE shut

Hey the same thing happened to me this morning in K-Town.... no scraper or anything so I did something I shouldn't have.... got a pan of hot water..... it was the only way to get the damn door open....i though I was gonna pull the handle off as well.... I was so unprepared for this.... hitting Pep Boys after work today though!

Old 12-09-2005, 09:54 AM
HCF Member

what are you getting fran to make that not happend??

Old 12-09-2005, 10:01 AM

I have absolutely no idea.... surely they make somethin

Old 12-09-2005, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: 94 Civic Ex
is there some way i can stop this from happening. like a solution i can smear in the door jamb?
There is a silicon lubricant you can rub on the rubber seal that is supposed to keep it from cracking or getting hard. That will help a lot of times since the ice shouldn't stick to the silicon lubricant.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 AM

you could even get liquid silicone in the car, spray it on a rag and then put a couple of coats on your seals. Did it for my window tracks and the windows hasnt fallen off since.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:04 PM

ngoti8or-what is the name of the product?
Fran-please tell me what you get from pep boys when you get back here if you would.?
Talon-whgat product did you put on your window tracks?

oh will that product also help my window roll up a lil faster. i did that for my sunroof track and it helped it. But the problem is i cannot figure out how to take the door panl off. i have tried and i cannot get it off. i took all of the screws off and I was trying to lift the panel, pull the panel, slide it, lift AND SLIDE it and it wont work. help?!?

Old 12-09-2005, 03:20 PM

To take off your door panel you need to take of the interior door handle, and the little pocket in the panel that you use to close the door. Then you need to slide the panel, I think foreward (if not backwards. and be sure to take of your speaker grill) and then get the guide out of the window sill. Be sure that the door lock is locked other wise you won't be able to get it off.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: 94 Civic Ex

ngoti8or-what is the name of the product?
Fran-please tell me what you get from pep boys when you get back here if you would.?
Talon-whgat product did you put on your window tracks?

oh will that product also help my window roll up a lil faster. i did that for my sunroof track and it helped it. But the problem is i cannot figure out how to take the door panl off. i have tried and i cannot get it off. i took all of the screws off and I was trying to lift the panel, pull the panel, slide it, lift AND SLIDE it and it wont work. help?!?
I got something called PYROIL multi-purpose silicone lubricant... by balvoline.... looks like it might work....$3.49 @ Pep Boys.... don't bother with Advance.... they didn't have anything.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:24 PM

Oh yeah.... Thanks guys for the suggestion... i'll let you know how it does!

Quick Reply: Door FROZE shut