Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Does this sound like a bad head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Well, Guys.... WISH ME LUCK! We are going to do a compression check first but....

I ordered a head gasket and will be replacing the old one tomorrow. I just hope the Haynes manual doesn't leave anything out. From what I could see, the main pain in the butt is getting everything off to remove the head.

Any tips or pointers? The Haynes manual covers everything step by step. My buddy has the torque wrench and machinist squares to check the head to make sure it isn't warped.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

For an even more detailed reference source, download the 01-05 Civic service manual at the link in my signature.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:13 PM

Thanks, Ron!

Do you have any tips or things to watch out for?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 PM

Ron, I can't find the manual for a 2002???

Old 02-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Ooopps... I saw it. I have dial-up. Took awhile for the page to load. It's the one that says Honda Civic EP3? (02-03)

Old 02-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You want the 01-05 manual. It's actually the 01 manual but the details are identical for most components.

The 02-03 manual is for the Si model, which has the DOHC engine.

I have not replaced a head gasket, so I can't provide key pointers. Nonetheless, my understanding is that you must ensure absolutely no warping where the head and block meet and you also must properly torque the head bolts in the correct order. A common error when reassembling the engine is to make a mistake in proper synchronization of the cam and crank at TDC1 when installing the timing belt. Just pay close attention to all details. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:30 PM

WELL, it's done! We started yesterday morning at 7 am and worked until about 8 PM last night. We started again today around 11 am and finished around 7 pm tonight. I got home and the antifreeze was not bubbling into the reservoir - THANK GOD!!

If you have never replaced a head gasket, let me tell you - you are in for a treat! Throw the manual in the garbage and just start taking things off to get to the head. The Haynes manual leaves so much stuff out it isn't funny. Ron, I couldn't download your manual. I have dial-up and it would have taken longer to download the file than it took to replace the head gasket.

There were so many electrical connections and hoses to remove. Unreal! My fingers and hands look like I stuck them in a cheese grater.

We got to the head and carefully removed it. I couldn't find anywhere on the gasket where it may have been leaking but when removing it, you get alot of oil on it, which makes it hard to see. We checked the head with a machinists' square and it seemed good. I cleaned the head with a "stone" and degreased it real good before replacing. We did tighten the bolts in the correct sequence and torque specs. The timing belt was actually easy. We marked where the shaft / pulley / belt was before pulling.

The hardest part was removing the exhaust manifold. The bolts were TIGHT and hard to get to. Me and my buddy agreed that when they assemble a Honda, they put the engine in first and then put the body on! :-) There were nuts and bolts we put on that have now trained my fingers to put a pair of underwear on an ant!

I was so nervous when it was time to start the car. Once again, you wouldn't imagine how many electrical connections there are. I thought for sure we'd miss one. I think I was even MORE nervous when I got home and was getting ready to pop the hood to see if there was any antifreeze or oil anywhere.

Anyhow, it started right up on the first try. Of course, there was some oil burning off the engine but after awhile that stopped.

I'm crossing my fingers that I fixed it. LIke I said, there was no antifreeze bubbling when I got home. We'll see.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. My back hurts so bad from leaning over the front of the car.

Hopefully, I just saved myself around $1,000.00. I think I had about $60.00 in everything. That included a new gasket, spark plugs, oil and filter.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Thanks for taking the time to share your great story. Best of luck with the fix. It sounds to me like you have a good chance of having a fixed engine.

You really need high speed internet or access to a friend's high speed internet!