Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Does blown head gasket cause coolant surge/bubbles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 AM
HCF Member
Default Does blown head gasket cause coolant surge/bubbles?

Its one of the things I noticed in my civic, which has a totally screwed head gasket. A ton of air bubbles and smoke come from the radiator when the motor is reved.

The thing I'm wondering is, with the cap off the radiator of a car without a blown head gasket, will the coolant surge when the car is revved? Will it bubble?

I only ask cause my brothers civic does this even though it doesn't not lose coolant or indeed have any other head gasket symptoms.

What all can cause surging and bubbles?

Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Does blown head gasket cause coolant surge/bubbles?

ORIGINAL: Jaynik

The thing I'm wondering is, with the cap off the radiator of a car without a blown head gasket, will the coolant surge when the car is revved? Will it bubble?
If properly bled, the cooling system shouldn't have any air or gas in it.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

Well damn I might two blown ehads on my hands. Pretty sure it wouldn't bubble forever and ever amen beacuse it was not bled.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 AM
HCF Member

Simple answer is Yes...

Old 04-05-2008, 10:30 AM

Yes, you either have a cracked head, cracked block, or a blown head gasket. Most likey a blown head gasket. The easiest way to check is with a block tester. Autozone rents them for free. You just have to buy a bottle of the solution that goes in the tool. Just follow the instructions and you'll know within 1 minute if you have a blown head gasket. It test for exhaust gases in the coolant system. It's cheap and easy to do. The tool requires a $20 deposit and the solution is about $7, and that's enough to do about 10 test. It's good to have on hand when used car shopping, it sucks to buy a car with a blown head gasket and not know it. I've been burned like that before, never again now that I know how easy it is to test.