Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

does anyone have a short shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Default does anyone have a short shifter?

Hey i am wanting to get a short shifter for my car. does anyone have one and how does it actually work? what does it do. i mean i guess it makes your shifts shorter. i would think so umm. how good does it work and do you prefer it ot your other one. i mean these things are cheap check out this one on ebay. is it too cheap and is this going to be all i nedd to do this conversion. and how much trouble would i be looking at to put it in. and can you give me instruction on how i can do this? sorry so many questions just a little illiterate on this one?

Old 12-15-2005, 12:15 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: does anyone have a short shifter?

I got one off eBay for a couple bucks and I love it! You'll definitely like the way it feels.

The main principal of it is decreasing the length on the top of the piviot and increasing the length on the bottom of it. That way you need to move the shifter way less to have the shift linkage move the same amount. Think of it like a sea-saw.

Just a tip, when/if you get one get some poly shift bushings too, it'll save you a headache later on and inprove your shift feel.

They're also not too hard to put in. It's really easy if you can get it on a lift.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:08 AM

sorry i forgot the link for the one on ebay. lkook at and see if it will be all i need. thanxz for the help ya'll. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95...ayphotohosting

Old 12-15-2005, 12:31 PM
HCF Member

im planning on getting a short shifter in the spring time, iv heard nothing but good things..if your going to install it youself and you dont no what your doing..i would pick up a haynes maual, it dosent tell you how to install a short shifter but it tells you how to take the linkage apart off your car and hopefully the shirter will come with other instructions on how to install it

Old 12-16-2005, 12:44 AM

A short throw shifter is cool and all... but I decided to chop my shifter. Same basic principal, however I like the feel of resistance when I'm shifting. I took my shifter out used a hack saw to cut about and inch and a half out of it. Then I welded the threaded part of the shifter (where the shoft **** goes) back onto the lower part. It was so nice. The short thorw sifter shortens the length that you have to move your arm/hand to shift. But the height remains the same. I just wanted mine lower period, So I cut it. Afterwards I found some temp resistant gloss black paint and painted the shifter. It looks stock, but feels way better! Not to mention the fact that it is a short throw too. I was deciding for a while whether or not I was going to do it, because once I do, if I don't like it, there is no going back untill I get another shifter. So sometime when I needed to shift it would grab the shifter below the shift know and shift like that. I loved how it felt. Then one day, I was just like screw it. I'm in the mood to tinker with my baby. So I chopped it and am never going to regret it!

Old 12-16-2005, 02:19 AM
HCF Member

werd i chopped my last one and loved it. no harsh engagmet feel. just silky msooth shifting with IMO a nice throw also. i currently have a hurst unit and its nice also but i want that silky feel back. ive heard of using the factory type r shifter but can never seem to find one for a decent price.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

That's the one that I have. It's cool. You will definitely feel a difference. Takes about half an hour to install even with just jackstands. I broke mine the other day coming down off of a lift so I need to get a new one. I'll do a DIY on it.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:21 PM
mxs
HCF Member

I've said this before, but I learned to drive stick with a short shifter, and the first time I drove a civic with a regular shifter, I was like, wtf, am I driving a bus??

so get it, you'll like it [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-16-2005, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

I'll do a DIY on it.
a DIY on installing a short shifter? that would be GREAT, dont forget lots of pics..thanks street sniper

Old 12-20-2005, 01:14 AM

I dissagree, I had a short shifter in my 95 si hatch and it sucked. I don't think they are good for your tranny. It just might have been a crappy one cause it was used so I'm not 100% sure. I would try to atleast buy a nice one. I probably won't use one again.......

Quick Reply: does anyone have a short shifter?