Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Detonation or imagination?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Default Detonation or imagination?

This is my first post so go easy huh? I recently fixed a leaky distributor o-ring.Even though I made timing marks (don't have a timing gun yet) it seemed like the engine was still not running/sounding right. Upon my numerous adjustments to the distributor, I found a spot that gave me great throttle response (advanced sligtly from original marks) but there was a strange, yet subtle,bup!bup!bup!bup!bup!...that was only present at idle under load (i.e. in drive or reverse). I figured it to be knocking due to excessive advancement but even after I backed the timing off the noise still persisted. Last nightduring a stop ona drive I decided to back it off even further despite my marks. This noise reduced itself to almost nothing. The throttle response is not the same but it sounds and feels like before I replaced the o-ring. I just want to know it if it is mild detonation/knocking or something else like my transmission,....or....worse (hopefully not). The car is a 95' coupe ex auto (d16z6); currently it is all stock. And if anyone knows, what are some of the perks and quirks of the z6? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Detonation or imagination?

The first step is to purchase or borrow a timing gun so you can set the engine timing precisely to specification.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you wont be able to hear detonation, people say it soundsw like a grain of rice dropping on tinfoil and you have to have a knock sensor or your own homemade knock device to hear it

Old 02-13-2008, 09:53 PM

I agree I need a timing gun. As soon as I get paid this friday I will either buy or rent one. I have heard of people using stethiscopes to listen for pinging but I'm not going to do that...and no rice on tinfoil sounds either. hmm....jeez I need that gun....Wouldn't the knock sensor for the ECU detect it(unless my particular car doesn't have one, but I assume it does... note to self: must pick up haynes manual for current car)? Thank you though.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 2ndhonda
...must pick up haynes manual for current car)?
Check here:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Old 02-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Thank you ronJ! That link is invaluable. you have saved me a ton of money and time on having to buy the actual paper. To all who get this far......check the link above if you need the real deal manual. It's free. And it's what all home mechanics covet. Thank you! Oh, and I did take my coupe over to the smog shop where I had it smogged previously and asked them if they could just take a look at my timing with thier gun for free (not sure if all shops will do this) and the guy said "sure, I don't have anything else better to do!". Turns out I was one degree retarded (17 degrees versus 16) which is in the acceptable range. Still don't know what the Bup! sound is but all systems are normal. I am still learning my z6 though so it just might be not related to ignition timing at all. I did advance the dizzy a bump or two (like half a mm) with my socket wrench and though the bup! returned slightly there is nothing that says it is running wrong (more throttle response by the way). I will tommorow however go and rent that timing gun just for my final piece of mind. Will update when I know.......
Seriously though, this link is a jem!

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/