Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dead battery disables '06 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Default Dead battery disables '06 Civic

This just in from my dealer: if you try to start an '06 Civic and the battery is run down, you will wipe out the immobilizer code and the car won't run even if you jump start it. You'll have to tow it to the dealer for reprogramming.

Get a jump start hooked up before trying to start.

Don't know about you, but I think this is unacceptable.

Please join me in pressuring Honda to fix this ASAP.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Dead battery disables '06 Civic

wow thats a little weard, so wouldent that apply if you unhooked to positive from the battey, they cant be right because alot of mechanics take out the positve when working on a car.....but im guessing the programing and tow would be coverd my honda since its a problem with the car?

Old 01-05-2006, 01:51 PM

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

wow thats a little weard, so wouldent that apply if you unhooked to positive from the battey, they cant be right because alot of mechanics take out the positve when working on a car.....but im guessing the programing and tow would be coverd my honda since its a problem with the car?
I'm told you actually have to try to crank the engine to reset the code. There must be a "keep alive" battery which is improperly isolated from the rest of the system.

Honda paid for the tow, and the reprogramming. So far they've not paid for my car rental. Once it's out of warrantly, don't know if they'll continue to pay for this.

If enough people complain, I'm hoping they'll fix it.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:35 PM

`another reason why you should wait for consumer reports t come in on new car models and body styles. don't just buy one outright and i u do get the extended warranty they offer it for a reason