Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dashboard Problems! BAHH

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Default Dashboard Problems! BAHH

1997 Civic LX

So today i took out my dashboard because the dude that owned the car before me had a stupid aftermarket dash in that was not working.
so... i took out the aftermarket and replaced it with the stock gauges (simply, gas, engine temp, and speedo)

Now, after i have plugged all three harness' back into the back of the dash, when i put my headlights on, none of the lights on the dash come on, and if i leave the headlights on and turn the car off, the buzzer doesn't sound, letting me know that i left them on.

Also:
i don't know how to reset the gauges so i know how fast i'm going and how much gas.

the gas gauge sits at E and my speedo rests at about 30 MPHs

Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 AM
HCF Member

did the stock gauges come with the car? or did you purchase them yourself (from a wrecker perhaps?)

Did the aftermarket gauges all work properly?

My guess is that you're missing a ground or something behind the dash, although I will freely admit I'm no expert at electrical.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Not working only when the headlights are on probably means the ground wire is broken. I think there is a big ground screw right behind the cluster when you take it out. If it never works at all, there is no power to the cluster, possibly a blown fuse.

I'm not sure if the 97 even had a stock headlight reminder buzzer.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 AM

ok i fixed the problem with the dashboards lights not coming on, so now it lights up and the buzzer sounds if i leave the lights on.
but i still do not know why or how my engine temp and gas gauge are stuck and will not move without me doing it myself