Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Dashboard Lights/AC issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:57 AM
Default Dashboard Lights/AC issues

I bought a 93 Honda Civic a few days ago and when I first did the AC was beautiful. It blew cold air that was so cold you would have to turn it off to thaw. About 2 hours after I bought it it start blowing not so cold air and then stopped blowing cold air all together. So I figured it was just out of freon and planned to get it filled. After I got home and my husband started looking at the fuses under the hood he saw that the one for the AC compressor was blown. We put a new one in and it worked fine for about 2 minutes and blew. We tried a 25a and it lasted about 5 minutes and blew. I called the mechanic and he said that someone may have just wired it differently and that we could use a 30a and nothing higher so we tried and it blew after about 10 minutes. We tried another 30a and this time it was so hot it melted the plastic part on the fuse. I live in Florida and it is hot as ever here so I need my AC to work but I'm having trouble figuring out why my fuses keep blowing.

Also, on my dash my lights aren't working. As long as the lights are in the off position everything glows like no tomorrow but as soon as I turn the lights to the on position everything goes dark...

Any ideas on either problem? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-16-2011, 04:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't use larger fuses. Don't go back to the "mechanic" who told you to use larger fuses.

The fuse feeds the compressor clutch and the condenser fan (the one on the driver's side of the car near the compressor). One of those parts is using too much current and blowing the fuse. Check that the fan spins freely. Put in a 15A fuse disconnect the compressor and push the button drive for a while, the fan should run and the fuse hold. If not the fan is bad.

Resistance of the compressor (from the wire to ground) should be more than 3 ohms. If not, the coil on the compressor is bad. It can be replaced without changing the whole compressor. Also look for frayed wires on the compressor (and fan, etc.) that may be shorting to ground.

On the lights, check that the tail lights on the back of the car work in both switch settings. If they (like the dash lights) light on the first click but not the second, very likely the light switch is bad.

Last edited by mk378; 08-16-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:23 AM

i bought a second hand honda esi d15b engine, my big problem is the idle getting low when i turning on the head light. any idea about my prolem? thanks