Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

dash light (97 ex)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:16 PM
HCF Member

i installed the stereo and i just grounded it through the harness... cause isnt there already a ground for the stock stereo?

Old 10-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by codered3x
i got the controller out and disconnected it and none of the wires or prongs look bad... how can i test this further?
Good question. After disconnecting the controller from its connector, insert a jumper wire into the terminal of the connector for the red wire (see diagram in my previous post) and ground the other end of the wire to the body frame under the dash. With the combination switch on the steering column turned one click, the dash lights now should turn ON with full brightness. If this happens and the fuse does not blow, then replacing the controller should fix the problem.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:23 PM
HCF Member

is there any way to rewire it so that the controller sits in there functionless but the dash lights still come on... cause i dont have a tester and it would be monday before i could get to one

Old 10-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

is there any way to rewire it so that the controller sits in there functionless but the dash lights still come on... cause i dont have a tester and it would be monday before i could get to one
You don't need a tester to do the test I described. You only need a piece of wire, maybe a foot long, with a short section of bare wire exposed at each end. If this test does not lead to a blown fuse, then this same setup can be used to get your dash lights back, but without the controller function.

Last edited by RonJ; 10-25-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

ok... i tried it and the fuse didnt blow but the lights also did not come on .... next step?

Old 10-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok... i tried it and the fuse didnt blow but the lights also did not come on .... next step?
Obvious possible problems:

1) Do you have a good fuse #30 inserted?

2) Is the combination switched ON?

Most likely problem:

3) The wire you insert into the red wire terminal must simultaneously have good metallic contact with both the connector terminal and the metallic frame under the dash.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:47 PM
HCF Member

yes i made sure of all three of those things

Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

yes i made sure of all three of those things
Insert a new fuse into the fuse 30 slot. The current fuse 30 may be blown. If the fuse is fine, you need an inexpensive test light or multimeter to localize the problem. When you have an electrical tester, I can walk you through the process. This circuit diagram will help with the troubleshooting:

Name:  picture_1545.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  28.4 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 10-25-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:04 PM
HCF Member

idk if this helps at all but one thing i noticed is that when i turn on the light, the in dash display that shows me what gear im in comes on... its just the light that lights up the speedometer and the light that comes on the automatic shifter that dont come on... does this mean anything

Old 10-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

another step you could do is pull the dash lights out and test them or just look at them to see if they look good/the filement inside the bulb not broken.

it could have just been a flook and they both blew if your dimmer switch still works....
my 96civic heater back lights both stoped working one day. i just replaced them and they still work. ya never know it could be the most simplest thing like the bulb just blew they dont last forever...

Quick Reply: dash light (97 ex)