Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D16Z6 Oil Geyser...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:43 PM
HCF Member
Default D16Z6 Oil Geyser...

hey guys,
i have a 94 EX 2dr with the d16z6 motor and just recently (all in about 4 days) i have developed a massive oil leak coming front what i think is the front oil crank seal / lower timing cover. i dove in to this project earlier today, dropped the oil pan and removed the drive belts and valve cover and all that good stuff but i can not, can NOT remove the damn crankshaft pulley. i tried for about 3 hours with a buddy wedging the flywheel teeth and getting a cheater bar but to no avail. i do not have access to an impact gun... (i'm at college and no buddies have them available) so what should i do? i even took a torque wrench well well past 180 ft-lbs and nothing gave way.

so my original question is do you think it could be an oil seal? it is a steady stream of oil whenever the engine is running, but not much new leakage once turned off. i leak about 2 quarts in under 10 min out or the pan.

any suggestions for either frustrations would be great...thanks!

~James

Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 PM

look on ebay for the Honda crank pulley removal tool. Use that and a breaker bar and it should come off

Old 10-20-2008, 04:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Recently, someone else unable to remove the crank pulley bolt mentioned renting an electric impact gun, which easily extracted the bolt. And yes, a ruptured front main seal seems the most likely cause of the huge oil leak.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
HCF Member

so i have called around the local wreckers and auto parts stores, the rental place had an electric impact gun 3/4" drive but said only did about 200-250 ft/lbs of torque which won't be enough i believe. so originially i'm using my craftsman 1/2" ratchet with a little extension, a 6-point socket and a 2 foot long pipe as a cheater.

wedging a screwdriver in the flywheel, me and a buddy cannot get the damn thing loose with applying about ~250-300 ft/lbs. so right now, i'm going to get a 2 foot breaker with a 2 foot pipe, jack it up higher and get a propane torch to heat it up and hopefully she will come free.... i don't have much else to come up with, any other suggestions?

also has anyone else had a front crank seal just seem to let go on them? it's funny cause you can see there is an oil trail wherever i have been throughout the city.

Thanks again

Old 10-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Read the thread below. This guy had a similar problem with the crank bolt and finally ended up using an electric impact wrench having a maximal torque of 300-ft-lbs. He said the wrench removed the bolt without any problem. I'd recommend you give the impact wrench a try. Out of curiosity, what's the rental price. Alternatively, call more rental places for a more powerful impact wrench.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...t=crank+pulley

Last edited by RonJ; 10-20-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

hey thanks for all the replies, i did the crank pulley off but what stumped me again was the damn crankshaft sprocket because i needed to replace the front mail oil seal. so i had to get a gear puller similar kind of to a steering wheel puller and after about an hour of swearing found out that the wood ruff key was a wedge instead a rectangular block like the crank pulley.

so i got the crank pulley bolt off by going and buying a 3-ft breaker bar and jamming a craftsman screwdriver in there, it was the only one that didn't break through it all.

thanks again for all your advice, it still leaks a few drops but at least its driveable and has a new timing belt I'm thinking that the oil pump housing is the culprit now but that will be another day......