Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

d16y7 sucked water into engine, new engine needed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 AM
HCF Member
Default d16y7 sucked water into engine, new engine needed.

Ok, so a really long story short, I need a new engine. My mechanic is saying 1400 total because he has to replace the timing belt and do all new seals. He's really lame and won't get me a d16y8, but I'm thinking this is kinda pricey. I hate this so much, I rely on my car to make my living and have missed out on around 500 dollars in just a few days. But come on 1400 dollars. I don't really have many other options though you know, I need to get it fixed fast and theres no way in hell I could do it myself. ef life.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: d16y7 sucked water into engine, new engine needed.

thats sucks sorry to hear that man . but why cant u get a y8? its not that much $$$ more than the y7.tell your mechanic you want a y8 and if not he'll loseacustomer. that always works btw lol

Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

You don't even know how many times I've asked him this. I said I would find detailed instructions if he didn't feel comfortable doing it. But NOOOO, I'm just some dumb kid that doesn't know what he's talking about. It's pretty weak, it won't work and I'm running out of options.

Bro, your fenders make your car look insaneee.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 AM
HCF Member

my mechanic was like that too but it was wen i wanted him to rebulid my vw motor and he gave a bunch of crap so i sliped in those words and even my dad came with me lmao and yup he did it lol ..but ya thanks i like em cuz i dont see em alot .. ecpecially on civics

Old 12-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well a Y8 preaty much just leaves the Vtec controler empty right? maybe im wrong.... but if thats the only difference i would just tell him to drop the Y8 in leave the extra wiring to you...
but if you get a whole Y8 motor with wiring harness it should be plug and play with the right computer i think....

but you could always just get the Y7 and then eventualy have the head swaped.....

but the price sounds preaty typical to me as long as he realy is replacing those seals and belt/water pump...

Old 12-03-2007, 11:13 AM
HCF Member

Yeah he's totally legit. I have a y7 now, he really would replace all seals and timing belt. But about the y8, is there any additional components needed ?

Oh yeah, clean ride bass, ive looked at your car like 10 times, haha.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

thanks... but with swaping a y8 I THINK its just the wiring harness and the computer i believe.... im not positive myself... but you can always do a minime swap later on to rock the Vtec....

Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, but my car's going to be down for a couple days i'd rather they do it now, then some other time. but ef it, hes not going to do it.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

just simply put it down that if your going to pay the money you should be able to choose what goes in...Motto: THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!! better Believe it

Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

Yeah i know ef that guy, I ran into one of my old friends and he told me that I could get the engine I want (d16y8) installed and everything for 200 dollars cheaper. So, if he's not going to do it at least at the price of the other guy, im going to say see ya later mike and get my car towed and get that done. So stoked I found an inside connection

Quick Reply: d16y7 sucked water into engine, new engine needed.