Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

D15B7 Timing keeps jumping

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 AM
HCF Member
Default D15B7 Timing keeps jumping

1994 D15B7

Since doing head gasket/timing belt I can't get the timing to stay right on this car. All I can assume is the timing belt keeps jumping.

It'll start running gutless, and I'll check timing and it's way off again.

I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong here.

To fix, I've been setting crank to TDC, loosen tensioner, slide belt off cam pulley, line marks on cam pulley up with head, slide belt back on, turn crank to tension belt and tighten tensioner.

It seems like when I'm putting the belt back on, there's too much slop on the side facing the front of the car.

Any idears?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If your belt has been skipping, the teeth are going to get chewed up. So replace it with a new one now.

Turn the crank counterclockwise when setting the tension. The front side of the belt should be taut when you tighten the tensioner. You may need to keep some force on the crank so it doesn't move backwards as you tighten the tensioner. The tensioner bolt needs to be TIGHT.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

are you timing the car right? you know you have to jump one plug thats inside the car on the passenger kick panel area and then you can time the motor with a timing light and adjust it properly. if its off still your just not getting the belt in the right spot. it will idle fine if its off a tooth but acceleration will be very lacking! i learned that the hard way.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

Mk, is it okay that the front side is loose, before I turn the crank to tension it?

I just can't help think its something I'm doing. Remember my last timing thread. It seems to jump exactaly the same amount. Once it jumps it stays there.

Addiction, yup on the plug.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes it will be loose that's why you turn the crank to pull the slack out. Then the slack moves to the back side, the tensioner spring should pull the tensioner down and tighten the back side.

No matter how many miles, if a timing belt has ever skipped teeth with the engine running you need to replace it. The tops of some of the teeth will be damaged and its prone to skip again.

Make sure the bearings in the water pump and the tensioner don't wobble. But if they are bad you typically would hear a lot of noise.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you need to turn the motor over by hand afew times back and forth with the spark plugs out to ensure you have it tight enough and the timing is still lined up at TDC.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:24 PM
HCF Member

Well I readjusted it again and went for a quick spin. It seems to be holding.

All I did different was tighten the tensioner a little more this time. I figured if that had slipped though the bolt would of been loose. (It was not).

Is there any known issue with the tensioner springs getting weak with age?

[edit]
I did manually turn the engine over a few times while inspecting the belt, it looks to be okay. No marks anywhere or anything. And I did say keeps jumping, it's actually done it twice now. Still enough to raise questions.

Last edited by scoob8000; 10-05-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i didnt like the tension with that spring when i did mine. i used a wooden handle to push up on the tensioner pulley and tightened the bolt down at the same time. then i spun the motor over afew times and checked the tension by just pushing on the widest opening on the belt.
i never had a problem with it that way.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:13 AM
HCF Member

Well that said, mine is nice and tight on the side facing the firewall, but there is still a good 3/4" of deflection when I press with my thumb on the front side.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i could be wrong but i dont think its suposed to move that much along the front side... its been awhile since i did mine so dont remember exactly.

Quick Reply: D15B7 Timing keeps jumping