Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CRX noises + fresh air vent

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:09 PM
HCF Member
Default CRX noises + fresh air vent

Hi there,
My car is making an odd noise (88 CRX Si)...
Between 40 and 80 kms, it makes a weird rattling noise. Almost like a buzzing sound, coming from the driver side interior, around the cluster? It is hard to pin-point the exact location.

On a slightly related note, my fresh air vent lever is stuck. It is keeping the vent partially open. Do I need to take the whole dash out???

Old 10-07-2010, 03:26 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by zerojett
Hi there,
My car is making an odd noise (88 CRX Si)...
Between 40 and 80 kms, it makes a weird rattling noise. Almost like a buzzing sound, coming from the driver side interior, around the cluster? It is hard to pin-point the exact location.

On a slightly related note, my fresh air vent lever is stuck. It is keeping the vent partially open. Do I need to take the whole dash out???
There could be a loose screw or something floating on/around cluster. Lightly tap the area and listen for a sound to locate it. You could blow compressed air around it to blow it away, too if it was the case.

Air control valve and box can be removed without removing the whole dash. I don't remember which car it was,,,,but I have done it without the dash removed,,,,long time ago,,,

Old 10-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The fresh / recirculate mechanism can be reached by taking the glove compartment out. Unscrew the hinges at the bottom, then pop the latch and take the glove box completely out. The air door is on top of the fan at the far right side of the car. Probably just the cable needs to be adjusted.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:14 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The fresh / recirculate mechanism can be reached by taking the glove compartment out. Unscrew the hinges at the bottom, then pop the latch and take the glove box completely out. The air door is on top of the fan at the far right side of the car. Probably just the cable needs to be adjusted.
Thanks so much!!

As far as that noise... It happens when my speedo bounces. Could just be the cable, or the cluster? I won't get a chance to work on it until tomorrow, or after the weekend.

You're honestly the most helpful person I have ever had reply to a thread online, ever. EVER.
Props to you good sir.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If the speedo "bounces," you should pull the cable out and regrease it. That is done entirely from the transmission end, there is no need to take out the cluster.

My '91 (which I think is similar) tends to rattle in the plastic "hood" over the windshield side of the cluster. Press on it while driving and see if you can make the rattle stop.