Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Cranks, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:58 AM
Default Cranks, won't start

I just got a 96 civic dx. It drove home fine, and then drove again for 1 day. Cranked kinda long before it started on the 1st day of driving it, but made it home (luckily) Next day it just cranks and won't start. Replaced cap & rotor, warmed up the distributor, checked compression and fuel regulator, both were fine. Hooked it up to a battery charger, still won't start, but itstill cranks. It's getting a weak spark, and fuel as every time I crank it it somewhat floods the sparkplugs.

I'm stumped...any more suggestions?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Default RE: Cranks, won't start

when i first got my civic i had a problem like this and i replaced the fuel filter and it solved my problem, but it seems you're getting fuel and no spark like you said. Check your sparkplugs for wear and the correct gap. Also it might be your ignition timing

Old 12-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

"Weak spark" may indicate a faulty coil in the distributor.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think the distributor coil may be the most likely culprit,as this car has been known to have distributor problems and has been replaced twice.I have a friend thatalso thinks it may be the timing.The timing belt was replaced about a year ago with no problems.I also replaced the spark plugs because the old ones were worn and filthy. Luckily the previous owner kept all maintenance records.

How difficult/what's involved in replacing the coil?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: fint
Thanks for the replies. I think the distributor coil may be the most likely culprit, as this car has been known to have distributor problems and has been replaced twice. I have a friend that also thinks it may be the timing. The timing belt was replaced about a year ago with no problems. I also replaced the spark plugs because the old ones were worn and filthy. Luckily the previous owner kept all maintenance records.

How difficult/what's involved in replacing the coil?
Information in these pictures should help.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:58 AM

The ignition coil was it. It tested fine on the A and Secondary terminals, but not so good between A & B terminals. We replaced that and it finally started. It now makes a high pitched screaming sound when its cold, but at least she runs. Many thanks RonJ, the pictures helped a lot.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: fint
It now makes a high pitched screaming sound when its cold, but at least she runs.
Are you able to localize the high pitched sound? This type of noise is often caused by glazed or loose belts for the power steering, A/C, or alternator. If so, tightening or replacing the belts will resolve the problem.