Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 02:17 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: couple of questions

ORIGINAL: bpapa

I know a ton of guys that are into all kinds of cars, but none of em has a decent scan tool. So if nothing else, I'd prolly get a lot of favors out of having one! [sm=smiley16.gif]

And I was already building a carPC for my Si, so a scan tool that I could hook directly up to it would be sweet!
Private shops charge like $50 just to diagnose and tell you what is wrong with your car. If you are good at figuring out what causes check engine lights and how to fix them, I'd buy the scan tool and start charging people.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:32 PM

Most ofmy friends are smart enough to know they can just go to Napa if they only need a code checked...

But with the features this scan tool has, I'm sure I'd get something good out of the deal(s) no matter what.I have a lot of friends who deal with project/hobby cars fairly often and something like this could take a lot of the guesswork out of it for em. Never underestimate the value of someone owing you a favor!!! (I hear the 'Love' theme from the Godfather playing softly in my head...)
[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 PM
HCF Member

well autozone i believe is an american only company...being in canada....not gunna happen. we have a lordco auto parts if it makes any sense...i might just pay to get it checked, cause i know in september i could get it done at my schoolut i dont want to wait

Old 07-09-2007, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

well i took the neative cable off and hooked it back up. light was off nd has no come backon yet soo i assume it was triggered an now is fine

Old 07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It will come back on eventually if the problem persists, such as a bad oxygen sensor. You will probably have to wait for it to come back on before the code can be read. Most of the consumer-oriented auto parts stores here (Advance, Autozone, O'reileys, Pep Boys, etc.) have a "free check engine light help" sign in the window, which means they will scan your car and guess at which part you should buy from them.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:11 PM
HCF Member

yeah it came back on. the engine developed a slight tick, so i made sure i had the oil topped up...it was near add line but still safe. tick is still there. umm mabe a lifter? or valve adjustment? i migh take it to get it checked ot next week