Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:07 AM
HCF Member
Default couple of questions

civic check light came on in my 97. how can i checkthe codes? i know on some cars you can turn the ignition on an off three times and thenthelightwill blin a certain number of times. when i d it it seems togo on off forlike 1 second and then back on. so i dont think this is how you can checkur codes? how do you then, o will i have to go to service shop. also, being a noob to civics and imports, i dont know i my car is a vtec or non vtec. i believe if it is a ex model it is vtec but no sure if i is even an ex...i know it has all options except a sunroof (if they came with the 4 doorthat year) but i would assume it is just a normal 1.6 sohc. cause there is not an indication of a vtec. back on the check light, there is a very slight ticking noise when you open the hood. but other then that you cant hear it unless hood is open. so is there some sort of stuck valve or lifter type thing? and what is a good way to remount the body kit? it is a litleloose, and was not screwed on very tight, the bracing in the front is not very good, so any advice on that. thankyou

Old 07-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: couple of questions

It was old Dodge cars that you could click the igintion three times. I think you'll need an OBDII scanner, of which basic ones are not very expensive at parts stores, or you can go to one of the discount parts stores and use theirs.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:03 AM

Take it to your nearest Autozone, they'll check it for you, it should be free of charge.
If you have all options but sunroof, you probably have a LX if you have a 4 door or HX if you have a 2 door. LX come with the D16Y7 engine, it doesnt have VTEC. HX come with the D16Y5 engine, which has VTEC-E, the fuel efficient, lean burning version of the engine. It has a little more power than the LX engine.

Old 07-08-2007, 11:08 AM
HCF Member

youcan check the codes without a scanner, dodge isn't the only company that use that process.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 PM
HCF Member

do you know how to ceck withou a scanner then?

Old 07-08-2007, 01:47 PM

You can get aGOOD scanner for under $200, it is a good investment! I've seen basic ones for under $100!

Old 07-08-2007, 02:07 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 1997civic

do you know how to ceck withou a scanner then?
Goto AutoZone, they will pull the codes for free. You don't have to work the scanner or anything, an employee will pull the code for you. Different scanners have different methods for using so it would be hard to tell you. There is a really good scan tool you can buy for your laptop. Its $200 and it hooks up to your computer. Has an *** load of features including live sensor data, fuel trim, graphs, and other stuff. I wouldn't buy a scanner because generally they can only pull codes. A scanner than can only pull codes isn't worth $100 especially since you can get a scan tool that can do codes, sensor data, flashing, etc for $200. The ability to be able to see the sensor voltages is really helpful when you are trying to fix problems.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:09 PM

That sounds like a good one! You got a link handy AgentofDarkness?

Old 07-08-2007, 02:10 PM
HCF Member

The link is http://www.autoenginuity.com/
We had one of these scan tools at our school and I really liked it. If you look around thier website you can see all the features. I would personally buy one if I had a real use for a scan tool but I don't fix that many cars. They also sell packages for specific makes so you can do some of the dealer stuff. It also comes with this SpeedTracer thing which looks like something that can help tune the engine and it can function as a dyno.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:14 PM

I know a ton of guys that are into all kinds of cars, but none of em has a decent scan tool. So if nothing else, I'd prolly get a lot of favors out of having one! [sm=smiley16.gif]

And I was already building a carPC for my Si, so a scan tool that I could hook directly up to it would be sweet!

Quick Reply: couple of questions