Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Couple of problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Default Couple of problems

Im new to this forum as of today and i got a few problems seein if someone can help me out. ive searched the forums and couldnt really find a good answer because nobody seems to have exactly the same problem.
Ill start with the car its a 92 civic DX hatchback
Stock 1.5L Non VTEC engine
Stock everything except ride height and exhaust
I'm having the honda idle where it revs up and down in neutral constantly but it only happens when the engine reaches normal operating temperature, when its still cool it runs fine but will start acting up about a half hour 45 minutes of driving, I've cleaned the IACV and the Fast idle thermo valve it used to idle like that all the time until i cleaned em then it stopped it till reaching temperature, I havent checked the coolant yet, and i dont know where to start for vaccum leaks but im pretty sure there is no leaks. There is a solid CEL light on i have yet to check.
Second problem is it being rough to start up especially on colder days, it will crank and just fine then it starts and dies off almost instantly after, I have to help it start by revving it for a few seconds then the CEL turns on and it purrs just fine, if i turn it off then turn back on it will start on its own but will idle very low for a few seconds till the CEL turns on then smoothes back out.
I am not new to hondas by any means im just new to these problems, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-07-2011, 06:02 AM

What are you getting a CEL for?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 PM

i havent had the time to check yet i will prolly try tonight or sometime tomorrow u have any suggestions?

Last edited by EGAdrian; 11-07-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Get the code(s). Don't expect your car to run properly while the CEL is on. If there is more than one code, reset the ECU and drive until the CEL comes on again, to see which code re-occurs first.

And check the coolant level in the radiator, the cause of many cases of unsteady idling.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM

my coolant level is good i checked that already ill check that light in a little bit