Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

compressor spewing freon - what is cause?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Default compressor spewing freon - what is cause?

Been working on a fixer-up 1993 honda civic. Everything is pretty good now except for the AC. I attempted to add freon and it came spewing out the side of the compressor in what appears to be a bolt hole. I have no AC experience but I'm usually pretty good with figuring things out. Can someone explain what causes this issue? Is the compressor just bad, etc.? Any input would be very much appreciated.

I have attached a pic as well and you can see the freon coming out the hole in the compressor.

Thank you,

Attached Thumbnails compressor spewing freon - what is cause?-dsc00279-small.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jacob600
Been working on a fixer-up 1993 honda civic. Everything is pretty good now except for the AC. I attempted to add freon and it came spewing out the side of the compressor in what appears to be a bolt hole. I have no AC experience but I'm usually pretty good with figuring things out. Can someone explain what causes this issue? Is the compressor just bad, etc.? Any input would be very much appreciated.

I have attached a pic as well and you can see the freon coming out the hole in the compressor.

Thank you,
bad bolt threads? cracked bolt? cracked housing of compressor? bad seal (if there even is one)?
I am assuming there is no pressure in the system if it is leaking out right there, i would take that bolt off and order a new one from dealership, also see if there is any seal there. Sorry i cant be anymore specific.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

i would say take it to an A/C place and have them look at it. they will tell you if the compressor needs to be replaced or if it can be fixed. either way it will probally involve opening up the system. anytimg you do that, there are a few parts that have to be replaced... so i would just get an estamate

Old 04-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That is the relief valve. When the pressure becomes extremely high it vents the refrigerant out rather than have a hose or the compressor blow up.

So why did the pressure become extremely high? Overcharging is the main reason, adding when it doesn't need any. You need to measure both pressures with a gauge manifold before deciding that charging more is necessary. If the condenser fan doesn't work, the pressure will rise to high levels. Usually the high pressure switch will shut down the compressor before the relief valve opens. But if someone has hotwired the system to effectively bypass the switch, you don't have that protection. Finally note that the pressure switch is at the outlet of the condenser. Thus if there is a blockage in the condenser, the pressure at the compressor will rise, and the switch won't see it.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
HCF Member

Hmm...I had that problem last summer when I tried to recharge my system(also to see if it works). But before that there was a small rubber button with a cord on it on the compressor..I didn't think much of it & recharged it...all the Freon leaked out because the relief pressure valve(which is where the rubber button) was open.

I still haven't managed to do anything with the compressor, would I need to buy a another relief pressure valve to fix the problem? My compressor did run for a few seconds while recharging but went off(pressure leaking).

Sorry to jack the thread, I live in TX & it's getting in the mid 90's now. WHEW!