Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

clutch switches

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: clutch switches

For comparison, the circuit diagram for the AT shift switch is shown below. Note the lack of a starter cut relay in this circuit compared to that of the MT switch in my earlier post. Rewire the AT circuit currently in your Civic to that shown in the MT switch diagram. For this purpose, you need a clutch interlock switch and a starter cut relay.

Name:  screenshot_01-7.jpg
Views: 3220
Size:  38.0 KB

Old 07-04-2008, 03:59 PM

ORIGINAL: chrisponthier

How would I get it into park? What wires need to go where? I think its all because of that.
here. all the wiring info you will need is in the auto to manual swap guide. This was on an EK so it's gonna be the same but the wire colors might be different. They will be in the same spots on the wiring harness though.

i copied and pasted this from the guide.

On the shifter for the auto transmission, you will see a 14-wire plug. Cut the plug from the auto shifter assembly, and leave about 5 inches of wire. Looking at the plug, the positions are (left to right) (top row) 14,13,12,11,10,9,8 and (bottom row) 7,6,5,4,3,2,1.

Name:  Conversion4.jpg
Views: 2393
Size:  21.9 KB

Starter (top) Sensor:

There are two heavy gauge wires (position #11 and position #12). Connect these two wires to the top sensor (clutch interlock switch) on the clutch pedal assembly. This will only allow the car to start when the clutch pedal is engaged. In other words, every time you press the clutch you will close the circuit.

Cruise Control (bottom) Sensor:

The bottom switch is your cruise control disable switch. Run two wires from the switch: connect one to the position #7 (black) and the other to #13 (pink). Every time you press the clutch pedal, the cruise control will disable. Removing the Key: On the 14-wire plug, there is a black wire you will need to connect to a green wire with a white stripe. This puts the car in "park" so you can take the key out at any time. Reverse Lights: Look at the plug you used on the engine wiring harness to hook up to your reverse sensor on the manual transmission. Run two wires from this switch to the yellow wire and a green wire with black stripe (positions 4 and 5) at the big plug that you cut off from the auto shifter. Now your reverse lights should work. I have heard that if you replace your automatic ECU with a manual one, your reverse lights will work without extra wiring. This has yet to be proven or not (I am still using the auto ECU until next week).

Old 07-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

^ dito....

or if you have to make a trip RIGHT NOW just use a 4inch piece of wire... WITH THE CAR IN NEUTRAL of course, and preferably to the side of the engine bay, simply pull the small spade wire off the starter and jump that terminal on the starter and tap it to the starters main battery cable.... tap it long enough to start the motor. then get in and drive away and repeat when you start the car up next

Old 07-05-2008, 06:42 AM

yeah. i finally got it to start. but the timing is off really really bad

Old 07-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

How did you get the engine to start? What was the problem?

Regarding the timing issue, check whether the timing belt is off by a tooth or so.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:05 AM

the problem was the automatic neutral safety switch. i had to use 2 wires to jump it. it cranks and runs. but it wont really idle that good. i have to use a timing light to get her fixed up. i really appreciate your help man. ill be on the road in no time now.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: chrisponthier

...it cranks and runs. but it wont really idle that good. i have to use a timing light to get her fixed up...
If you happen to have difficulties setting the ignition timing to spec with a timing gun, check whether the cam and crank synchrony are off by a tooth on the timing belt.