Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

clutch switches

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Default clutch switches

I just converted my '95 civic dx sedan from an automatic to a 5-speed. Got all parts i needed dropped the new motor. It wont start. I think its the clutch switches??? Any help on how to get my car started???

Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Default RE: clutch switches

the clutch switch sends a signal to the cruise control unit to tell it when you put the clutch in. My little rubber stopper on the switch was gone and my car ran fine, just no cruise control. I put a bolt in the stopper's place since i didn't want to go buy the stopper and the screw will never break, and cruise control came back.

If you swapped the whole motor and it hasn't started since the swap, the problem could be absolutely anything. Check all electrical connectors and vacuum lines and make sure they are hooked up properly. It could be your starter too.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The clutch interlock switch at the top of the clutch pedal must be depressed to activate the starter cut relay required for the starter motor and main relay (fuel pump). When you turn the ignition key to START, does the starter crank the engine? If not, check the battery, the clutch interlock switch, the starter cut relay, and the starter.

Name:  picture_1145.jpg
Views: 5990
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  picture_1146.jpg
Views: 6077
Size:  46.2 KB

Old 07-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The shift position switch on the automatic shift lever has 3 functions that will need to be rewired to go to manual.

Starter interlock: The starter will not work in any setting other than P or N. You can simply bypass that instead of using a clutch switch, but then it will be possible to have the car move when you start it if it was left in gear and the clutch not pressed.

Reverse lights: The switch turns on the white back-up lights on the back of the car in R. A manual transmission has the reverse light switch on the tranny itself. You will need to run wires to it.

Key interlock: The key cannot be turned all the way to lock and removed unless the selector is at P. Turning the key all the way to lock will lock the steering wheel, so they wanted to be sure the car was parked first.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:17 PM

i have the ecu for the manual motor. wouldnt the ecu disable all automatic functions?

Old 07-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: chrisponthier

i have the ecu for the manual motor. wouldnt the ecu disable all automatic functions?
The MT or AT switch controls power to the ECU (as well as the main relay and starter). The ECU, however, does not control either of these switches or their circuit. To make the swap complete, you must wire in a clutch switch and cut relay as detailed in the circuit diagram of my earlier post.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:08 PM

ok. cool. thanks alot for your help.

Old 07-04-2008, 01:16 PM

would a push button start work?? and how would i wire it up?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: chrisponthier

would a push button start work?? and how would i wire it up?
I think information provided by mk could be used to wire up such a button; however, you would loose the security of your ignition key, which may not be prudent.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:20 PM

How would I get it into park? What wires need to go where? I think its all because of that.

Quick Reply: clutch switches