Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch inhibitor

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Clutch inhibitor

Hey addiction2bass thanks for your help!

I always park in neutral with just the hand break too. I am a creature of habit.....so if I jumped the connection and started the car the way I normally did, clutch in, gear in neutral....would that be safe in your opinion?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if you always do its not realy SAFE, because there is always that POSIBILITY... that maybe someone bumps the shifter into gear, or a friend gets in the car and its been bumped and he just starts it up and it could jump....

so no i wouldnt say its safe. but its doable, mainly for a TEMP till you can replace the part when you can....

i have mine bypassed but thats because 2 reasons. ONE i have a remote starter system on my car, and TWO "NO ONE ELSE DRIVES MY CAR and i leave it in nuetral all the time!"
if either one of those two was not true i would not have bypassed the switch.

so i would sugest you replace that switch, im pretty sure you cannt just pop that busted piece back on the sensor because next time ya pushed on the clutch pedal it would jsut fall out again.
that switch cannt cost to much from the dealership! if i had to guess the cost id say 20bucks-30tops. its pretty much just a pin switch.

if you get the switch and use the new switch to get the right size wrench to remove the old one i would estimate it would take 1/2-1hour to replace the part and have it all back together again by yourself. its not really difficult more less a very confined space to get your hands up there!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:51 PM
HCF Member

ok.....better safe than sorry. Thanks again I'm sure all this advice saved me alot of time and frustration.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:10 AM
HCF Member

Ok....I was able to McGiver a little thing to get that damn plastic pad thing onto the bracket. I put a thin wire around the pointed end of the pad and stuck it onto a dowel that I put a slit on the end. Then I pushed the clutch pedal down far enough so I could see the hole on the bracket. Then I positioned the plastic pad's pointed end into the hole and released the pedal. That pushed the pad againsted the switch just enough to hold it in the hole, but not enough t push it in completely. I gently pulled on the dowel to release the wire from the slit.Then I took a chopstick and placed it between the switch and the pad and again, released the pedal. That pushed it in all the way.

Started right up after that!

Thanks for all the advice.....I love this forum!