Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch inhibitor

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 03:24 PM
HCF Member
Default Clutch inhibitor

I have a 95 Civic 5 speed. The other day when I turned the key, nothing happened. No sound nothing. I tried to jump it, but still nothing. My brother in law was able to by pass something (hot wire it I guess) and get it started so I could get home.
I was told the problem is the clutch inhibitor. When looking around under the pedals, I found the nipple looking thing thats on the clutch pedal that presses the clutch inhibitor
**edit** hadbroken off.

My question is, can you buy this nipple thing? Or should I just replace the whole clutch inhibitor? Do they come together?

Thanks guys!
j

Old 03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Clutch inhibitor

Unplug the switch and jumper the two pins in the plug on the car side. Check the starter. If it works now replace the switch. Everything from the plug to the part that screws into the pedal bracket is replaced as one piece.

If your car has cruise control there will be two switches on the clutch pedal, the one on the top controls the starter.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well its probably the top clutch switch, you should be able to just buy it and replace it. but until you get a new switch just get a paper clip or small piece of wire and just jump the conector, and if thats really the problem then it should start up fine. i have mine jumped since i instaled my remote starter alarm system.

but if jumping that wire does not let the car start then its something else. posibly a relay or something....

but till ya find the actual problem you can always give your self a work out and push start the car turn the ignition to the RUN position, take off the Ebrake and start pushing the car, hop in and put it in first gear and drop the clutch and it should start up and run. ive done it quite a bit on my 94civic already.LOL sometimes im just screwing around and i know i dont need to use the starter. and a few times the battery was just so dead the starter wouldnt work but the battery still had enough power for the electronics so it fired right up and i was on my way to work

Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 AM
HCF Member

Are both switches indentical? Or do I need to specify what one needs to be replaced? I don't know what one is defective.

Is the clutch inhibitor switch the same thing as a neutral safety switch?

Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

not sure if they are the same...... i believe the lower one is for the cruise control kill, and the top one is for the starter kill safety.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

you could always just pop the hood and simply jump the small wire terminal on the starter to the battery wire on the starter... just MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL and parking brake engaged, just turn the key to the RUN position. and then just jump that wire terminal on the starter with a little wire just as thick as the original small starter wire. and more less a tap for a second or two how ever long it takes for the motor to start up and run. and your good.

just a few TEMPORARY ways to get your car from point A to B cheap.....

Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I would think the switches are different. They probably at least have a different plug so they can't be plugged in wrong.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:03 PM
HCF Member

Ok I went to the honda parts dept. and explained what happened. The guy asked if I found a plastic thing that looked like a crayon tip.....I said like this? and showed him what I found. He goes....yeah thats why the clutch pedal isn't ingaging the switch. I took a look at the bracket where this plastic piece goes.....but it is impossible for me to get my hands up in there to pop it on.
Do you guys know how to get this thing on?? Do you have to remove the pedal? Or remove some kind of pannel? Its so frustrating to have this thumb tack sized thing disable my entire car. [:@]

Old 03-14-2008, 03:04 PM
HCF Member

Addiction2bass....thats exactly what we did to get it home that night.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well none the less that sucker is VERY HARD TO GET TO!!!!!.
to make it alittle easier take off the trim panel below the steering wheel and the KNEE metal brace, then take off the 2 nuts holding the fuse block to the car and it will give you afew extra inches to work in to get to that upper switch.

depending if you leave the car in gear all the time or even SOME of the time.... but PERSONALY i leave the car in nuetral with just the parking brake holding the car, so with me just crossing the wire harness over with a wire works for me with no problem BUT if you leave it in gear and hit the key to START it will make the car jump!
so just depends on your style if you can bypass the safety switch.

IF IN DOUBT just replace it.... if ya buy a new switch, then get a wrench to fit it and it should just twist it right out just like a bolt. just try to put the new one JUST LIKE the old one.... i believe it has a jam nut on the switch, so if ya just unscrew the switch and the nut stays on the old switch just mark it and put the new switchs jam nut about the same, and just twist it back onto the car.....

once ya bust it loose you should be able to get it out easy by hand up there and vis versa with the new one. not to hard.....

pretty simple to just replace and keep safe.
BUT last note... might want to wear some cloth gloves, theres lot of sharp metal under the dash!

Quick Reply: Clutch inhibitor