Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Clutch Disengagement Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Default Clutch Disengagement Issue

I don't normally post problems outside of my project thread(s), but I am somewhat in a bind at the moment in regards to my 92 Civic VX which should have been a reliable cheap DD while the coupe is down. It has been nothing but problems. Anyways, I searched around a little bit and got a bit of knowledge from it, but I wanted to check with you guys, too.

About the car:
-Stock clutch/trans to my knowledge (134K on the motor/Trans)
-Clutch pedal always felt weak when putting the car in gear and releasing the pedal (I blamed this on being used to an aftermarket clutch or the pedal needing adjustment)
-Replaced the clutch fluid last weekend
-Always somewhat grinded into reverse. If I pumped the clutch a few times it sometimes went into reverse without grinding

About the symptoms:
-About a week or so ago, the car posed a big problem going into first. Shut off the car, put it in first and started it, the car jumped forward as if the clutch was not disengaged. No problems until last night.

-Took the car out last night, no problems for the first 20 miles. About 2 blocks from home, the car would not go into 1st while sitting at a stop sign. Again, shut the car off, put it in first and the car jumped forward (while the pedal was pushed to the floor) and continued to move. Now that I think of it, while shifting into 3rd the clutch randomly just dumped, but then went back to normal like it engaged, and then disengaged quickly. My foot was on the clutch pedal (to the floor) the entire time.

-Took the car out this morning before going to work. Started the car in neutral, but would not go into 1st or 2nd. Grinds like all hell when attempting to put it in reverse. Shut off the car, put it in first and allowed the car to jump forward to get moving. Shifted into 2nd just fine right then and there while driving. After stopping at a stop sign, I could not get it back in gear and had to do the same thing all over again. Came to another stop sign and it went into first no problems. The problems came back within the next block though.

My thoughts on the problem:
-Pedal needs adjustment
-Little to no clutch fluid in the reservoir (something leaking)
-Air still in the system (I did not have an assistant help me while bleeding it)
-Rear Main seal leaking causing the clutch assembly to be saturated with gunky oil etc
-Slave and or master cylinder not functioning properly
-Pressure plate "fingers" broken off
-Clutch disc cracked or the springs in the clutch malfunctioning in some way

What actions I will be taking:
-I will check the fluid tonight when I get home to see if it has become dark already, or if it is gone.
-I may re-bleed the system tonight with new fluid if I can have someone assist me.

Is there anything I may be missing? Anyone leaning towards one thing rather than another? I don't mind replacing the master or slave cylinder if you guys think that is the problem as they are relatively cheap and easy to do. I really would not like to be forced into pulling the transmission for any reason. I guess I will have to if the problem is stemming from there though.

Any and all help is much appreciated.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 07-07-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

Since you had a problem before the fluid change, I would lean towards a clutch master or slave cylinder failure.

I dont think this could be a malfunctioning release spring as you would hear it.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

i would really like to know what works. i just got my 1991 civic running and it has a very similar problem. when the clutch pedal is to the floor the clutch is not all the way out. i can put it into first but the wheels spin even with the clutch to the floor. i think ill go check my fluid levels now to see if that is the problem.

sorry for not really helping you problem, i was about to post something like this and then i saw your post. so thanks.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the input boiler!

Anyone else?

*waits for MK, or RONJ to post up although I haven't seen Ron around in a little while.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Fluid leaked out and/or bad master cylinder. Bad slave cylinders just leak, bad master cylinders do like you describe. It's like having a bad brake master cylinder; the car may eventually stop if you pump the pedal enough.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:47 PM

Sounds good MK. I appreciate you chiming in on it!

I have been thinking MC the entire time to be 100% honest. I'll check the fluid level tonight and post back up again when I get home from work although I am fairly confident the fluid level is fine.

You are saying that if the fluid level is good, then it is the MC and if the fluid level is low, then it is either one of those leaking and I just have to find the leak?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:49 PM
HCF Member

first off my fluid was black with a very very slight tint of red. im off to the dealership to get some fluid now. hope this solves my problems =) if not maybe clutch replacement.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There can be an internal leak in the MC where it doesn't leak to the outside, but it won't build pressure. Watch the clutch lever while someone presses the pedal. If it doesn't move, or moves but goes back while the assistant holds the pedal down (try both on the floor and partway down), you aren't getting any pressure.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:05 PM

Fluid level is good. Had the g/f play with the clutch pedal pushing it in and holding, and the clutch lever moves back and forth. Holding the pedal down, the clutch lever moves and stays in the same place (does not go back to its original place when the pedal is pressed and held). So I am assuming the problem is not the master cylinder?

If it helps at all, the pedal feels like it has more slack then before when feeling pressure of the clutch master cylinder. Basically, there is more play in the pedal before it actually starts engaging the clutch master cylinder. Maybe it is just a case of the pedal needing adjustment?

Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There's always a possibility that the clutch pressure plate is bad, but start here:

Bleed the hydraulic system thoroughly. If that doesn't work, replace the master and slave cylinders and then bleed again.

Quick Reply: Clutch Disengagement Issue