Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

clunk when shifting into drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

Ok just replaced drivers side cv axle on my 98 civic lx auto, I hate auto's!! I thought I had lost the transmission in a parking lot, but after jacking it up, it looks like the drivers side cv axle was toast, after removing it, it's definitely toast, I replaced the cv axle, car has drive, now when I shift i get a really hard shift, i looked at the transmission mount on the passenger side, it's gone, is this my most likely culprit on the clunk? I have drive now, before it would go a short distance then no drive, plus it would buck, like a failing cv axle. the cv axle outer boot was ripped in half, and it looked like the inner joint was too far towards the tranny . any ideas? my project car is at least a year from being done, this is our only car, and my wife is in the hospital, plus i'm laid off.

anyone know anything about this? friend told me about it, is this solenoid external?
Automatic transmission: Automatic transmission may shift harshly due to contaminated linear shift solenoid. Fix includes repeated fluid changes plus installation of a new solenoid. (1996-2000)
from driving it around the block, it shifts normally, with no loss of drive, but from low gear, the upshift is what produces the clunk, it sounds like that mount to me, opinions?

ok after replacing the axle, and driving it a little, nothing, I changed the tranny fluid, it looked terrible but wasn't burned, it was shifting normally, I drove it a short distance back and forth, on the concrete, it was fine until the fluid warmed up, then nothing, I was shifting from drive to reverse, then it just stopped going into gear, i could shift into drive, then nothing, any ideas? is this transmission shifted electronically by the computer? I'm going to rent a code reader and check for codes, since I can't drive it to the place to check . can someone tell me the procedure for checking line pressure on this tranny? my manual says to leave service to a professional. covers every thing else but the transmission

Ok guys I need you to look out for me, I need a linear shift control solonoid valve off one of these transmissions, I know there are a lot of bad trannys out there, all I need is the valve, it's the one on the front of the transmission, I will take a picture of it as soon as I can, it located right next to the shift valves on the outside of the transmission case, near the passenger side wheel, under the motor mount

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 08-23-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: geez, use the edit button
Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Cat Fuсker

The clunk is most likely the mount. The hard shift is a different issue from the clunk.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Exactly. The clunk has always been the mount. Honda didn't put many parts on these cars that weren't important to do something.

Never put generic ATF into an automatic Civic!! Use only the "Z1" from Honda dealers. Or maybe it doesn't go into gear now because all the fluid has leaked out? Surely you've checked that though...

Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Exactly. The clunk has always been the mount. Honda didn't put many parts on these cars that weren't important to do something.

Never put generic ATF into an automatic Civic!! Use only the "Z1" from Honda dealers. Or maybe it doesn't go into gear now because all the fluid has leaked out? Surely you've checked that though...
yea there was plenty of fluid, it's that linear shift control valve, I talked to someone at our local tranny shop, and he said to remove the valve and clean the orifices, also remove and clean the shift valve assembly under it, plus replace the gasket screen, he said they have a lot of problems with the wet clutches, and the material gets in the fluid and clogs the valves, there's a Honda service bulletin on this same thing, says the valve can clog from contaminated fluid, if it's not working right, it will shift into gear very harshly and it will stick in fourth gear on downshift, it actually gets stuck between gears. I downloaded the service manual PDF and read through the transmission section. they don't build these to fix do they? stupid valve is 200 bucks from Honda. I'm running castrol GTX high mileage transmission fluid, it meets the Z1 spec. It's supposed to be good stuff. it better be at five dollars a quart

OK I removed the valve, I was waiting for the new gasket to get here, it works fine on 12 volts, but when you first start the car,it's fine until it warms up, then I start having problems, I'm going to put it on 12 volts and let it sit for a while to allow the solenoid to warm up, then see if it sticks open or closed, I know the valve is normally actuated until it has to close to change the fluid flow through the transmission for a gear shift, I believe it may be sticking once it warms up.

OK does someone know the threads at the transmission pressure test ports? i need to find a metric connector to screw in and make an adapter, i found a really good diagnostic thread that tells exactly how to check all of these valves.

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 08-23-2010 at 03:17 PM.