Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Climate/hvac controls doesnt work

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:57 AM
Default Climate/hvac controls doesnt work

So when I got the car the heater/ac didnt work. I replaced the blower motor because it wasnt working. So my problem I have now is that the controls for the climate control dont work. You can turn it on and turn the blower speed up like you should be able to, but when you try to adjust where you want the air to come from it doesnt work. The air just comes out a little bit from the defrost and a little from the floor, but you cant adjust where you want it to come from. And you cant hear it switch open from vents to defrost or anything like that. Also my heat isnt very hot at all, its barely warm enough to where you can no longer see your breath.

Anyone have any idea? Is there a bad relay somewhere maybe?

Its a 93 4 door dx with ac by the way.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Default RE: Climate/hvac controls doesnt work

No one has any idea?

Old 02-24-2007, 02:44 PM
HCF Member

would try to solve one at a time.
heat first.
when you move the temp setting dial, does the cable-connected appartus in the engine bay up against the firewall move.
if ok, then time to check the thermostat

Old 02-27-2007, 12:39 AM

ORIGINAL: fglaustin

would try to solve one at a time.
heat first.
when you move the temp setting dial, does the cable-connected appartus in the engine bay up against the firewall move.
if ok, then time to check the thermostat
they both work, thermostat opens like its supposed to and the heater temp slider works but the buttons dont change where the air comes from

Old 02-27-2007, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

did you take the thermostat out to check it

Old 03-16-2007, 03:18 AM

ORIGINAL: fglaustin

did you take the thermostat out to check it
No, I didnt take it out but the water temp gauge works and the temp rises to where it should and stays steady there.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

If it's the switch that won't let you control the air flow I would think it would be electrical, maybe someone left a wire off back there, or the harness itself that controls the floor/vent/def thing.

If its the heat, I would think its the heater core somehow. Either its not getting good flow from the coolant, or it's broken. It could need a drain/flush all together, if it hasn't been cleaned in a while.

Not sure what to tell you other then that. Does the AC work now, cool air i mean?

Old 03-17-2007, 02:11 AM

No the air doesnt really work, it switches from warm to cool but thats about it, that and the fans speed is all the changes....

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 AM

Check the vacuum hoses, probably a leak somewhere there....

Old 06-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There's a motor that controls which vents the air will come out of. It's electric, not vacuum. When you push the buttons on the control panel, does the corresponding light come on? Check that everything is plugged in, if so could be the motor or the control panel. The motor is on the heater box sort of behind the control panel. I think it can be removed without taking the dash out by reaching way up from the floorboards on the left side.

The temperature lever is purely mechanical. Check that the water valve under the hood opens fully (lever moves back toward the firewall) when you put the lever on hot. If it does the heater core may be restricted. Disconnect the heater hoses and flush it with water to check for restricted flow. This is assuming of course that the engine reaches proper operating temperature.

Quick Reply: Climate/hvac controls doesnt work