Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

civic starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 PM
HCF Member
Default civic starter

so i replaced the starter on my sister civic because it would not start...when i looked at the old starter noticed that the teeth pole broke and was in the flywheel...took the shield off at the bottom and got it out...but now that car died while driving it...can the flywheel be breakin the starter teeth pole???

Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Has the engine locked up?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

not sure what that means...like did water get into it? i kno that her hood flew up onetime driving and bent the hood.(this was before the starting issue) she couldnt close the hood to this so she just tied it down...there was a good sized gap between the hood and the bumper...and the engine is full of the dried salt/snow...then the car didnt start...replaced the starter and saw that the starter piece was broken...replaced the starter and heard clinking...figured the piece..took it out..it started with no clinking...and then as she was driving..ide say after 30 mins of driving the car broke down...she said that she let the car warm up for 15 minz before leaving and noticed that the car was idling at 2k...

Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The fact that the teeth of the original starter were broken may indicate that the engine is not turning freely. Is the engine oil low? Does the engine now fail to turn over when the key is turned to ON(III)? If not, the engine might be locked up. Put the front end on stands and the transmission in neutral, and then check whether the engine can be turned from the crankshaft pulley bolt.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

the engine does not turnover at all anymore....before i changed the bad starter it would just make a winding noise....after the new one was placed it started like nothing...now that it died it does not start at all...all the lights and stuff come on..but when i turn to on(III) it jus clicks...dome lights dimm..and thats it...if the engine is locked up...does thaat mean i need a new engine..or is it fixable..a cheap one at that...and how do i turn the engine on from the crankshaft pulley bolt?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What year/model Civic? First take the battery to a local auto parts store for charging and also clean the battery terminals, posts, and ground wire with steel wool.

Is the engine oil low? Is the oil contaminated with coolant? Have you checked for blown fuses?

Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
HCF Member

its a 93 honda civic lx auto...ill swap my battery into the car to see if its the battery...battery terminals did have a lil biuld up on them...so ill clean that...same with grond wire...engine oil is not low..but she is one of those prissy girls..she hasnt changed her oil in about..oooo ide say about 10+k miles...ill check everything tomorrow..due to it being like 10 degrees outside and 1 in the morning...but i thank you for answers...be sure to check in tomorrow for more

Old 01-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Dipsetcivic117
its a 93 honda civic lx auto...ill swap my battery into the car to see if its the battery...battery terminals did have a lil biuld up on them...so ill clean that...same with grond wire...engine oil is not low..but she is one of those prissy girls..she hasnt changed her oil in about..oooo ide say about 10+k miles...ill check everything tomorrow..due to it being like 10 degrees outside and 1 in the morning...but i thank you for answers...be sure to check in tomorrow for more
If it were a manual tranny, I'd also recommend that you try a push start.

In addition, check whether the Blk wire at the starter always has 12V and whether the Blk/Wht wire has 12V when the key is turned to ON(III).

Old 01-06-2009, 05:00 AM
HCF Member

i dont know if this would help..but my dad noticed that this part (circled in pic) was wiggly...i check mines and mines was pretty stcuk on there..no movement at all..

Last edited by Dipsetcivic117; 02-27-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I don't think that's it since the lights dim the starter is trying to do something. If the terminal were broken, nothing at all would happen when you turn the key.

Like Ron suggested, the next check is to see if the engine can be turned by hand. Make sure the key is OFF when you do that so it cannot fire and injure you by trying to start.

Quick Reply: civic starter