Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

civic periodicly stumbles

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 04:40 PM

We changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter and checked a bunch of other stuff and on the ride home it did it again. F unny thing is that was a few weeks ago and it hasnt done it since. Its not fun because we dont trust it on long trips, you're always waiting for the next time.
Its frustrating that the computer doesnt store a fault code. My next move was gonna be to change the distributor but since you tried that I dont know. Let us know if you have any success and I'll do the same.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Chubby Chaser

have you checked your fuses both under hood and under dash, a ecu will not store codes if the back up fuse is blown

Old 10-23-2009, 05:51 AM

That is not good news because,that is exactly how my civic acts.It will go two maybe three weeks sometimes without a misfire and then bam...there it is.I'm going to replace plug wires this weekend and hope for the best...I'll let you know.Keep in mind that I replaced the distributor with a used one.If the problem continues,that is likely to haunt me enough to purchase a new one.Unlike your experience,I have owned this car for several years and this issue just started happening within the last year.Have you noticed any correlation between it's occurance and rain?

Old 10-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Absolutely no association with the weather. Its been dry every time and with the recent heavy rain we;ve had theres been no problem. I have to wonder if a wire hasnt rubbed thru somewhere and occasionally moves just the right way and shorts. I just dont know. How many miles on your car?

Old 10-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Angry I give up!

My civic died on me twice today.It's as if the engine is no longer getting fuel or spark or both.The first time it died,I was able to pop the clutch a couple of times before it rolled to a stop but, it would not start that way either.Once I was stopped,I let the car sit a few minutes,,,maybe 5.When I tried the ignition, the engine started and I was able to drive to my destination without a problem.On my return trip,the engine died again with exactly the same scenario,,,wait a few minutes,start it and go.I give up!It's going in the shop tomorrow.I can no longer afford to throw more money at phantom parts.I'll let you know what I learn....oh yeah,almost forgot,car has about 182k.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Chubby Chaser

open your fuse box under hood and check your fuses the big square ones should have screws on each side of them

Old 10-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Cool Problem Solved

Hey Kid.$285.00 later,problem solved.Can you say crank sensor?I'd never heard of one until the mechanic suggested it as one possible explanation for my civics behavior.Timing belt has to come off to get at it so,I replaced that too.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Chubby Chaser

kid? also did you go ahead and get the water pump changed to? also a bad crank sensor would have thrown a cel.... did you have a cel?

Old 10-31-2009, 04:11 AM
Cool Kootenay Kid

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
kid? also did you go ahead and get the water pump changed to? also a bad crank sensor would have thrown a cel.... did you have a cel?
Read the Kids #8 post.This is precisely the symptoms my civic was exhibiting.The cel flashed only very briefly at the misfire or when the engine died.It did not store a code...it happens.Probably because it was intermittent.I had changed the tb and wp 23k ago so,I did not change the wp this time.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:36 PM

Hey thats great news! Crank sensor, hmmmm, I'm on it! I will let you know my results. Thanks for letting us know.

Quick Reply: civic periodicly stumbles