Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

civic periodicly stumbles

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Default civic periodicly stumbles

Hi all new here, I have a 1999 civic SIR with 227,000km on it. Just yesterday while driving the car normally, the car lost power badly and the check engine light started flashing. This lasted a very short time and cleared up. I have had this happen 4 times now and I have had it connected to 2 different computers but they cant find a fault code. Today we changed the spark plugs because they hadnt been done in awhile.
Any suggestions?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Chubby Chaser

when the cel flashes like that it means a misfire, i suggest doing a full tune up, change plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Well, after 400 bucks to do the full tune up, guess what? The problem is still there. We cannot find any fault codes whatsoever on the computer. Is it possible there is a problem with the v tech engine management system? Any other ideas?

Old 09-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Chubby Chaser

Have you check the timing on it?

Old 09-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Anytime the CEL has come on there will be a code stored. If the ECU is not getting it's backup power (which I think comes from a fuse under the hood), it will forget all codes every time you turn the key off.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:10 PM

Would the diagnosis equipment at a Honda dealer pick up anything a private shops wouldn't? Is there any propriatery info only Honda can pick up on?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Chubby Chaser

when the cel comes on dont turn car off leav it runung and get codes pulled. so you can find out which cylinder is giving the problem then we can go from there.

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 09-29-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:50 PM
HCF Member

A private shop should be able to tell you the same thing Honda does. I'm sure Honda has their own proprietary programs they use, but your computer was designed so that any shop with an OBD2 reader can plug in and check your codes.

The most common events that lead to misfire:
1) loss of spark
2) the air/fuel mixture is too far out of balance to ignite
3) loss of compression

Your ignition coil could be going out, but you would experience problems on all the cylinders. You'd need a shop with a ignition scope or a digital storage oscilloscope (DSO) to measure the firing voltage.

You could have a bad fuel injector, or a bad connection to your injectors causing a lean fuel mixture

Loss of compression is the worst case, you could have a burned exhaust valve or a faulty head gasket. Check your compression.

Does the car start smoothly or is it a rough start?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM

The car starts and runs absolutely normally with the only exception being when it loses power for short periods of time. The CEL flashes only while this is happening, and when plugged to the computer (2 different shops now) there are no fault codes stored.
I have heard of certain model years, not confirmed which years, that have defective distributors. Anyone heard of this?

Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Default Any luck? I have same issue.

Have you found the problem with your civic?I am having the same issue with mine.I replaced the distributor(used)and still have the problem.Could be they're both bad but I'm curious if you resolved your problem.

Quick Reply: civic periodicly stumbles