Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civic CX automatic trans.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Default Civic CX automatic trans.

I have a Honda Civic CX (auto) that has over 222,000kms. I noticed that the car jerks once stopped. That happens once every 20 seconds. Aproxx.

I also notice that while driving between 80 to 100km/h on acceleration it has a little jerk too. Once over 100km/h it isn't felt.

Today Ibought new ATF "Honda" transmission oil from the Honda dealer. The transmission oil has never been changed since new. And the car hasn't been abused at all.

I know that it is recommended to change auto. transmission oil every 48,000kms. (Dealer recommendation) I changed the oil and added Lucas transmission fix. It helped a little, but still does that jerk like before. I did notice that it does this symptom after the transmission has been in operation for over 20 minutes. (Anotherwords...HOT)

Prior to this oil change, I know that the oil should of been flushed a long time ago. This is my Mothers car, and she doesn't know much about mechanical stuff, but understands maintenance. Many folks never change their automatic tranny fluid for as long as they own the car. Personally, I know more about the function of standard transmissions, but not the internals of an Auto tranny.

Has anyone ever experianced this?? I'd like some input towards this if possible.

I hope the transmission isn't really damaged.

BTW, could this be the torque lock-up solenoid that needs to be replaced??

Please feel free to shoot some info on this topic.

Thanks,

Civic28

Old 07-05-2008, 03:29 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Civic CX automatic trans.

im having the same problem with my 92, i was thinking maybe a tranny flush with some lucas would at least make it less noticable but it seems it didnt fix the problem in your case...have you figured out why its doin that?

Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM

No, still no dice on my Civic's transmission. I added some Lucas transmission fix (about 1/3 of the bottle).

The service guy at the dealer told me to try this Lucas "special" oil and try it. He said many customers had good experiances with Lucas oil in their Honda's.

I drove it for a couple of days since my first post to see if there was a difference. I notice when I drive the car for 20 minutes or so, the tranny is better. Once it is driven for over that time, (plus the tranny is hot) the problem is back.

I thought there would be more input on this issue, but if any has experianced this please post.

Thanks,

Civic28

Old 07-06-2008, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

lucas transmission oil? i didnt know they made that...

Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 PM

C'mon guys, someone must have experianced this...if most here have done swaps, mods, and other performance work, you must of heard of this problem. Unless, none of you have done work on the car yourself.[&:]

Please input...

Thanks,

civic28

Old 07-08-2008, 03:33 PM

bump...

Old 07-08-2008, 04:58 PM

Did you wait to see if the problem went away before adding the additive? I have read on several other forums that it is a really bad idea to add anything other than honda transmission fluid to a honda transmission and other people had problems until they replaced the other brands with the recommended honda trans fluid.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:52 PM

I changed the tranny oil to Honda ATF oil. (the honda oil sold at the dealership)

Still no difference. I added the Lucas transmission fix additive to the honda oil. I added about 1/3rd of the bottle.

No difference after eithier. Could this be a problem with the torque lock-up solenoid?? Should replace??

I am aware if it were that, the car would stall at a stop sign. It doesn't.

I'm still worried...

Thanks,

Civic28

Old 07-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If it is a 6th generation Civic, you may be able to pull a trouble code from the ECU. Has the D4 indicator light been blinking?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:25 AM
HCF Member

the automatic versions of cx have been known to have a lot of transmission problems.

Quick Reply: Civic CX automatic trans.