Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:36 AM
Default Check engine light

Good morning folk, I have a 98 civic 4dr auto trans with 86,000 miles. About 6 months ago, I had a lot of work done to it, timing belt, brakes, trans filter & fluid, brake fluid, master cylinder. It's been running great, in fact I've been getting close to 36 mpg. Anyway, this morning, I get in it to come to work and the check engine light is on. I am NOT very mechanically inclined. Can anyone give me something to look for before I take it in somewhere. If it matters, the check engine light is amber not red

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Check engine light

Your car's system has detected a fault and stored the fault code in a computer. You have two options:

1) Bring your car to AutoZone. They will retrieve code for free.

2) Retrieve code yourself:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

If you need more feedback, post the codes in your thread.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:43 AM

Thanks for your help. I took it to Autozone and it threw a P0135 Code. He said it was the o2 sensor. He told me it was 79.99. I called honda and they asked if it was the primary or secondary. Would that code specify which sensor it was.

thanks

Old 01-22-2008, 06:57 AM
HCF Member

Auto zone should be able to tell you. if it's the primary or secondary. They can look for the info of the code you just posted. They will also give you print out of the problem..ask them. 79 sounds cheap..I think it's a universal O2 sensor..I would go with the OE style with plug..just plug and play..But it makes a difference between both of them. The only difference between the Universal is that you have to use your old plug and use some connectors.. I would look for the code for you..to see if its the 1st or 2nd O2..But I got to get back to classes..Sorry. Maybe RonJ can help you out.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

P0135 indicates a problem with the primary oxygen sensor. Replacing the sensor is a DIY project, if you are a little handy and want to save some money.

Edit: First, it would be wise to clear the code (remove BACKUP 7.5A fuse in under-hood fuse/relay box for 10 seconds) and then to see whether the CEL eventually turns back ON. If so, retrieve the code again to verify that it is still P0135. Then proceed with replacing the primary O2 sensor.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 AM

my check engine light came on after i washed out under my hood and the code is for the 2nd o2 sensor, but i just changed both of them

Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check whether the connector for the secondary sensor is wet and therefore shorting out.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: RonJ

Check whether the connector for the secondary sensor is wet and therefore shorting out.
He said he changed them both... seems as if he doesn't have a problem any more bear in mind that is not OP

Old 01-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Oh, I probably wrongly interpreted the statement as saying that a secondary sensor code was thrown despite recent replacement of both sensors.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:41 PM

last we heard from motorjock he was asking would the code tell you which sensor it was... then lowciviclove said he got a CEL because he washed his engine and replaced both sensors

Just to get it clear, unless i have misunderstood you then just forget it all

Quick Reply: Check engine light