Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 01:43 PM
HCF Member
Default changing spark plugs

Ok....don't laugh![&:] I've never changed my spark plugs, or anything in my car for that matter except my K&N filter... My brother in law has done everything on my car since I got it, replaced the clutch, timing belt, water pump, a/c, radiator, fuel filter. I don't want to bug him for a small thing like this so....Here's my question, I have a Haynes manual and it says... to get the plug threaded correctly attach it to a 3/8" rubber hose. What do you guys use? And how necessary is it to use toque wrench? I don't have one.

Thanks!
J

Old 01-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Default RE: changing spark plugs

you dont need a torque wrench it is wise to use one but i never have just dont go very tight. i use my sparkplug socket 3/8" drive (craftsman) which has a rubber deal in it to hold plug in then a 10" 3/8 drive extension and put plug in the socket and screw it in the spark plug hole thill i cant turn then put my 3/8" wrachet on it and tighten alittle bit and then put the plug wire back on and your done. hope this helps

Old 01-11-2006, 04:48 PM
HCF Member

I just bought a sparkplug socket and extention. So you mean this socket will hold the sparkplug as you put it down into the hole the same way a rubber hose would?

Thanks again...
j

Old 01-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

make sure you thread it in by hand until it goes almost all the way in, you should get a lot of rotations before you cant any more and then take the wratchet and snug them up kind of hard but not to hard...

Old 01-11-2006, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

Remember this, the spark plug is the baby of the engine. Treat it with alot of care. If you are agressive or use too much power when installing it, you can strip the threads on the cylinder head, which will cause you alot of problems. So take riceburners advice, it should turn very easy until the last turn or so, thats when you should put the ratchet on. If it goes it really hard at first, there is a problem. Also, there is some stuff u can buy at the autoparts store, antisieze and thread lock i think. One goes on the spark plug boot (antisieze) and will make a good connection. Thread lock will hold the spark plugs in real good. They come in little packets at AutoZone. Also, if you don't tighten the spark plug well, there is a possiblity that the plug will end up in your hood. I'm not trying to scare you, im jus trying to warn you. Its definatly something that you can do, even with little experiance, but be careful and take your time.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:02 PM

you had better borrow a torque wrench if you've never done this before, you will not have a feel for correct torque pressure,too much will crack the porcelon and too little will work loose. Best be on the safe side for now

Old 01-12-2006, 01:28 PM
HCF Member

i have never changed spark plugs eather..but what i heard it screw them in till it starts getting tight then loosen them a half turn, im not sure if this is right, i no thats what my one buddy used to do

Old 01-12-2006, 05:01 PM
HCF Member

I wish i had a torque wrench, but at $110 its pretty expensive. I got some money from relatives yesterday, but i dunno if i should buy one. I spend most of my money on either food or tools. Its gonna be either a set of impact sockets, torque wrench, or a compressor if my dad doesn't buy me it.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:37 AM
HCF Member

lol AgentofDarkness
nice dude

Old 07-06-2006, 11:01 AM

Sears usually has Craftsman Tq wrenchs on sale for around 60 bucks or so, I have been planning on getting one just to have for situations like these.

Quick Reply: changing spark plugs