Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CEL coming on and off, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Default CEL coming on and off, need help

so yeah, my CEL has been coming on and off a couple times these past couple days. it first came on this tuesday when i was leaving school. turned the car on and let it sit idle for a couple mins since i was on the phone. after a couple mins the CEL came on. turned the car off a few seconds after it came on then turned the car back on and the CEL went away. drove off and a few miles down the road it came back on, turned the car off and back on and went away, drove home about 10 miles and didnt come back on. wednesday it came on randomly as i was driving down the road, turned car off and back on and went away till i got home a while after. today it did the same as tuesday but insted of shutting the car off, i drove it home with the CEL, sprayed some injector cleaner, o2 sensor cleaner, and throttle body cleaner thru the manifold. shut the car down, turned it back on and no CEL. i have a feeling it will come back on again tho.

i've checked everything and nothing appears to be wrong. car still runs just fine, nothing different. anyone know what may be causing this?

my friend said that connecting this 2 prong clip, found under the glove box, with a paper clipmight be able to reset the code. not sure about this, never heard of it, but i trust he's not making shiz up since hes not completely dumb when it comes to working on cars.
Name:  IMG_0001-5.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  65.6 KB

any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: CEL coming on and off, need help

What year Civic?

For some CEL codes, the CEL stays lit only when a fault is occurring and turns off when the fault is no longer sensed -- intermittent problem.

You might not sense any driveability problem if, for example, the fault were with the secondary O2 sensor.

Here's how to pull the CEL code from the ECU:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557

Old 05-15-2008, 06:12 PM

its a '95, only has 1 o2 sensor pre-cat.

thanks for the link, thats exactly what i was looking for[sm=smiley20.gif]gena do this tomorrow and see what i come up with..

Old 05-15-2008, 06:24 PM

ok nvm, i'm a bit impatient esp if theres something wrong with my car so i ran out and did this real quick. it worked just fine. came out to being 41: primary oxygen sensor heater. heater? i've never heard of this. my o2 sensor is also only about 2 1/2 years old. ugghhh damn sensors.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The O2 sensor only works properly at high temperature, so it has a built in heater to ensure accurate readings.

Using a multimeter, you can figure out whether the problem is in the O2 sensor itself or in the circuitry leading to the sensor:

Name:  picture_0863.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  64.2 KB

Name:  picture_0864.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  picture_0865.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  66.5 KB