Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CEL Code 41 & Speedometer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Default CEL Code 41 & Speedometer Problem

I have a 1994 Honda Civic automatic 2dr Coupe. I recently replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) because the Speedometer had not been functioning correctly. It would work on and off. When it did work, it would show the correct speed, but then it would usually just return back to 0 MPH. After replacing the VSS, the speedometer still has not been working. The Odometer does not work either, but the other gauges do. A few days ago (about a month after the VSS was replaced) the Check Engine Light appeared. I checked the code and it is showing a “Code 41”, which is the Oxygen Sensor Heater. I have never gotten a code for the VSS. Everything I read regarding the VSS and the Oxygen sensor related to the Speedometer working erratically, such as showing 140MPH then 70MPH then 0MPH and so forth, where as mine either shows the correct speed, or 0MPH. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should do about this problem? Would I be able to do the work myself?

Thanks so much in advance.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Oxygen sensor won't cause a speedometer problem directly, though you may have seen some stuff from the 1996 models with the "fuse 15" problem. If the wiring on one of those shorts out and blows the fuse, neither the speedometer or oxygen sensor will work. I don't think this is common at all on the previous generation like you have.

If you never get the VSS code and the transmission always shifts into overdrive properly, the VSS itself is probably OK and the problem is in the cluster. Try removing the cluster and tightening the screws behind the speedometer (those are also electrical connections). If that doesn't help you may need a new speedometer or complete cluster.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 AM
HCF Member

i had a similar problem to this. but exept my speed needle would just fall forward under "0 mph" (under the little pin that hold it in place) and would sometimes flip back around and work again...

but yeah i went to the "speedometer" place here in reno, and they asked me if either the odometer or the tripometer were working. he said that if either one of those were workin, that ment that the speed sensor was working properly because it was sending the signal. and that the problem was in the actual speeometer. so i got a speedometer from a junk yard and it worked perfectly. (i just got the speedometer piece not the whole console)

does your tripometer work? or is that not working as well.

you might wanna try that? the speedometer was like 20 something bucks at the junk yard.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Default Re:

Originally Posted by DaOne
i had a similar problem to this. but exept my speed needle would just fall forward under "0 mph" (under the little pin that hold it in place) and would sometimes flip back around and work again...

but yeah i went to the "speedometer" place here in reno, and they asked me if either the odometer or the tripometer were working. he said that if either one of those were workin, that ment that the speed sensor was working properly because it was sending the signal. and that the problem was in the actual speeometer. so i got a speedometer from a junk yard and it worked perfectly. (i just got the speedometer piece not the whole console)

does your tripometer work? or is that not working as well.

you might wanna try that? the speedometer was like 20 something bucks at the junk yard.
My tripometer/odometer does not work either. Only the RPMs and the fuel gauge work on the cluster. Would it still be a problem with the speedometer? Is replacing that pretty simple? Thanks!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Chubby Chaser

if nothing is working then you either have a bad vss, or the plug that plugs into the sensor is bad, if so then goto the junkyard and cut the plug off another civic and cut yours off and wire the new one in.
i've had this problem and that was my solution