Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

CAR WONT TURN OVER WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Default CAR WONT TURN OVER WTF!!!

Last night I was bored so I took out my auto brake pedal and installed the manual brake pedal on the auto bracket (which is a bad idea because the rubber stop (for the brake light sensor) on the auto pedal is on in the same position on the manual).

So I took the rubber stop off the manual pedal and has some metal scraps lying around and cut one long enough to reach from the rubber stop on the manual pedal to the sensor on the auto bracket and screwed the metal piece to the manual pedal so when the pedal is not being pressed in by your foot, the metal piece will hit the sensor to turn your brake lights off.

Well I had my battery power and ground still connected while doing this. I think I disconnected that brake light sensor throughout the pedal swap but I highly doubt this caused my car to not start this morning.

Last night when I was done with the pedal swap I turned my car on to see if the brake lights would work and they did. I turned the car off and locked the doors and went to bed. Got up and the car wouldnt start. IT DIDNT EVEN MAKE A NOISE WHEN I TURNED THE KEY! A friend said it was the battey but my dome lights, headlights, gauge lights, brake lights all come on. Booster Pak said it was charged. Battery Charger said it was charged.

What could the problem be? I checked the wire that runs to the starter.. its connected.

Is it my starter? Is it the battery? If anyone has any info on what it could be or any advice to try let me know.

I even tried turning the car on with the booster pack connected to battery and that didnt work. I am so lost.

Could it be from something I did the night before or just a mishaps that happened out of nowhere like bad starter or altinator?

Old 01-24-2007, 08:20 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: CAR WONT TURN OVER WTF!!!

did you do anything with the shifter? it kind of sounds like a sensor in the lockout is reading that its not in park, so it wont let it start.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:31 PM

I didn't touch the shifter or even put in a clutch pedal. Since I am doing a auto to manual swap soon I thought I would get the pedals out of the way first.. So last night I did the manual brake pedal and was going to do the clutch pedal tonight but can't because I want to find out what is wrong with my car first.

The only wires I touched were the wires that connect to the sensor the brake pedal hits when it's not being pushed on by your foot. I unplugged the sensor while I did the swap then plugged it back in after the pedal swap. I know it's connected because the brake lights work.

I just don't know what could be wrong.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:40 PM

I did take the cover off the steering column underneath the dash if that matters but I dont think it does.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:03 AM
HCF Member

Did you check ... I would say starter solenoid, but first, it's that thing that won't let you start the car unless in N or P. Have you tried to start in N?

If the solenoid to the starter is working, you will hear a click when you turn the key. If so, then your starter has issues. Try rapid-firing the start until it turns. If you got the manual swap already in you could put the car in gear and rock back and forth until the motor moves. That would get the bad spot off the starter contacts and let you start the engine. If worse goes to worst there is always the bobsled method...

Old 01-26-2007, 08:10 PM

It's nothing major. I blewa fuse in the fuse panel in the engine bay. It's all good now. A trip to autozone and $2.50 and I was straight.