Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car Won't Start- HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:05 AM
HCF Member
Default Car Won't Start- HELP!!

I got a 92 Civic HB with a D15B7 1.5l engine, I came out one morning and car wouldn't start and found there was oil in the spark plugs. The tube seals had went out. I replaced the spark plugs and wires and the car would start but idled really low like it was struggling to start.

I took the whole top end off the engine and replaced the head gasket and piston rings also to make sure. Now when I try to start it, the car won't start at all. The car has spark, has fuel, and was top dead center, but still won't start. It almost sounds like it is not getting any fire in the engine because it doesn't matter if you give it fuel or anything it consistantly sounds the same. I checked all my fuses and everything is good.

Anybody got any suggestions on what I could check to see if it would work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Default RE: Car Won't Start- HELP!!

Is it carburated or fuel injected. Also did you check if the ignition coil gave spark. and if your plugs are wet when you try and start the car.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:51 PM
HCF Member

I tried the spark just at the spark plugs, and yes after I tried to start the car I pulled the plugs and they were wet. Now what? It is fuel injected.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

i never set those things a dtc or tdc (whatever it is).
set it on the timing mark; why set it on tdc and only have to go back and do a dynamic timing with a light.
i think your timing is a little off. these small engines have to be about right on.
or the timing belt jumped a notch or two and is somewhat off

Old 02-25-2007, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

yeah that is exactly what it is, but now I have to get a new camshaft gear since mine seems to be bent, also have to tear everything apart again just to get the timing belt tight. Thanks for the help

Old 02-25-2007, 08:21 PM

Looking for some help.... Unfortunately, my Civic ran into the same problem. She is a 92 DX, all stock, with 227K. She was running great, then about a month prior to not starting, I had one instance that she was turned off and wouldn't start right back up, but then started up about 5 mins after. Then, she went down completely. Wouldn't start at all and everything checked out fine (fuel, battery, etc) until we pulled the spark plugs and all four had oil on them. My hubby and I are pretty good at doing our own repairs, but this is something we have not covered before.

Here's what I need to know.... What all seals need to get replaced and how to get to them? Our Haynes manual really isn't going into much detail on this topic, much to our disappointment. There is no mention in the manual on tube seals or how to get them in and out. All help is greatly appreciated![sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 02-25-2007, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

getting 2 cases in the same thread - but OK (i guess).
there are valve cover tube seals on the underside of the valve cover (i think honda calls it the rocker arm cover - but everyone knows what we are talking about). but there would be oil on the exterior of the spark plug - dont think it would stop the car from starting. Or are you saying there is oil on the part of the spark plug that is down in the cylinder ??
Sounds like oil rings are bad. Need a compression test then.

But, do you have spark at each spark plug. Should check that first if you have not. i could not tell from your post.
if that the case, then it could be a timing belt that slipped and your timing is off. check that next. Or, when was the timing belt last replaced ??
that time when it did not start, and you waited - sounds like what i had. as i posted earlier, might be a factory defect.
that is solved by:
http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

i did it but did not have a solder sucker. just have to be very carefully doing resoldering (adding a little more solder )

Old 02-25-2007, 09:49 PM
HCF Member

dont see how the camshaft gear (sprocket) could be bent ??
my belt slipped on me and i put a (tiny) little more tension on it than recommended.