Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car won't start after...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Default Car won't start after...

Hi All,

I checked the solved cases thread and read the car won't start thread..but that did not provide the information I need to solve this problem, so I am hoping someone can help me.

I have a 1999 Civic DX Hatchabck with 89K miles that won't start.
I pulled it into my garage and replaced the rocker cover gasket, water hoses, plugs and plug wires.

In order to get one of the hoses off, I had to remove the distributor because some moron had the clip turned around and it could not be reached without taking the distributor off.

1st Mistake did not mark where the distributor position. It is in the same approximate position, because the bold washers left an impression on the housing where they were originally.

OK, I have spark. I went through the check list for Ignition that was posted here:
http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html

I have good spark, blueish and strong..will light a timing light. I put the new ignition wires on one-by-one, taking an old wire off and putting the new wire in it's place in the cap. The plugs are gaped correctly. Does anyone have an image of the wire placement? The link for the ignition step has images for only gen 1 and gen 2 distributors.

I tried several times the steps for starting a flooded engine.

I have read that I should check fuel, but am not sure how to go about those steps.

Any suggestions for the next steps?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 AM

Check for fuel by turning the key to the IGN II position. The check engine light should come on temporarily and you should hear a low hum from the back seat. Its the fuel pump. If the pump turns on then off (primes), then you have fuel.

Post a picture or two of how the thing looks now. That might help us.

I recommend going to www.hondatech.info and downloading the service manual in .pdf format. It has a wealth of information for free.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

As mentioned, check whether the fuel pump primes.

Spark should be bright white. If it's blue, the coil may be bad.

Here's the correct firing order:

Name:  picture_3498.jpg
Views: 2129
Size:  90.8 KB

Old 03-22-2010, 05:04 AM
Default Pictures

Thanks for the link to the service manual. That will come in handy.
I am attaching pictures of the wiring.

I do hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to the II position.
Also, the spark is bright white, now that I have recharged the battery...too much time trying to get it started over the week-end without actually having it start and drained down the battery.

Guess I'll keep searching.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Car won't start after...-100_2669.jpg   Car won't start after...-100_2670.jpg   Car won't start after...-100_2671.jpg  
Old 03-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Make sure the distributor electrical connections are secure if you disconnected them. Check the ECU for any codes. People say it is not possible, but with some determination I have been able to put a distributor on 180 degrees out of time. Also, timing belts can skip at any time. So check the mechanical timing, when you have the engine at TDC1 the rotor should point at the wire for #1.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the mechanical timing:

Name:  picture_3438.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  47.2 KB

Old 03-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Smile

OK thanks, haven't had time to work on it since last week-end...will be working on it again this week-end....will start with the procedure in the manual first, but the timing is something for me to keep in mind also. Will update when I find out what the problem is.
Thank you.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:15 PM
Smile Thanks!

The problem is that the distributor was rotated 180 degrees.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 03-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
People say it is not possible, but with some determination I have been able to put a distributor on 180 degrees out of time.
Originally Posted by awesomesheltie
The problem is that the distributor was rotated 180 degrees.
I've heard this is possible with aftermarket but not stock distributors. Which do you have?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 AM

I have a stock TEC...but to be accurate the distributor was not 180 degrees...no way to physically do that.....the rotor was turned 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

After making sure piston #1 was at top dead center, I opened the distributor and the rotor contact was not in a position where it would be pointing to #1 on the cap. I then took the distributor off and turned the rotor 180 degrees, put the cap back on and bolted the distributor back on. Put all the other parts back together and she fired right up.

This morning I'll get out the computer and see what the timing looks like.
I have one of these and it has come in very handy, when you are thrown a code or just curious about all the stats that can be collected when the engine is running.
http://www.obdcom.com/

Quick Reply: Car won't start after...