Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car warming up time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Default RE: car warming up time?

wow, that awesome. Ive always let it warm up for like 5minutes and i didnt even know! I could save alot with this. thanks for the replies

Old 04-28-2006, 09:04 PM

Many years ago I worked at a service station that did automotive repairs. The owner was in his 50's and probably the best mechanic I have ever seen - he just had a 6th sense about what was wrong and how to fix it. Anyway, I always listened when he talked and his rule was the same as the one that was posted previously - 30seconds to 1 minute and then drive gently until your temperature gauge indicates the car is at operating temperature.

A lot of people forget that there are parts other than the engine that would like to be slowly warmed up. What he saw happening was people warming the engine up in the driveway for 5-10 minutes, then taking off and driving like maniacs. Sure, the engine was ready for it, but the cold transmission, cold wheel bearings, cold CV joints, cold steering rack, cold transfer case, cold everything else were suffering because of it - resulting in excess wear and tear on those cold parts. This was especially true in the winter when everything was a bit colder!

Just my 2cents...

Old 04-29-2006, 08:13 AM

maybe the water will be up to temp in a few mins but the oil wont be fully up to temp for about 10 mins, and i agree with the cold wheel bearings and other non engine parts

Old 04-29-2006, 10:58 AM

i would let it idol a min before driving and once u start driving, drive slow and conservatively for the first few mins. If its a short trip that ur making, i suggest letting the car idol longer to warm up, usually takes about 10mins to fully warm up the engine but if u run on a cold engine, u get less gas mileage and it can create more wear and tear on ur engine.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

when you start your car the trannsmission is always spinning even if you are in neutral...., but i usualy let mine warm up for like 1-3 mins while i am grabbing my crap and then will take off slowly.... I herd at a local tuning shop that the owner which i think his eg hatch ran a 10.41 at the strip was saying that he puts hit heater on and waits until some warm air starts coming out and then he knows that hes good to start driving...

Old 04-29-2006, 05:22 PM
HCF Member

The only things on your list that don't actually warm up are the CV joints and the transfer case. The trans is always turning regardless of if you are moving or not. When the engine is turning, everything that is turned by the engine (except A/C) is also turned and the fluid is pumping.