Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car has been sitting 2-3 years...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Default Car has been sitting 2-3 years...

Hey folks, a simple question I hope. I just picked up a 2001 EX with VTEC engine. Problem is, it's been sitting 2-3 years. What can I do to minimize the damage done before I start it? Also, what about the fuel system? I'd figure the gas evaporated and left a sludge. Should I clean the whole system before I try to start it? I already have to change all the fluids, that I know, and other oddities as well (belts, brakes and such). But these 2 questions I could use some help with.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Car has been sitting 2-3 years...

First of all, drain the oil. THen when your putting the oil filter back on, fill it up with oil and put it on. It will help it have oil pressure right when you start it. I know this works with older V*s and stuff, so I would think it would be the same with a 4cyl. Top off the cooling system. When you are adding fluid you can squeeze the upper and lower hoses to move the fluid through the system. Just check out the belts and make sure that they dont have any cracks in them. Clean the spark plugs and make sure that they are gapped right. Pull the distrib. and rotor and make sure they are clean.

As for the gas tank, I dont really know. Mabey someone else will know what to do about it. Good luck, and if I am wrong about anything here, guys please let him know. I dont mind being wrong.

Wind

Old 11-05-2006, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the reply. That part I know, but the I guess I should have been more clear. I hear some people say you should put something in the spark plug hole ( a little WD-40, a little oil, etc, etc. ) but I've never ran across this issue so I wanted more opinions on it. I can see how putting a lube down there will help but I don't know how that will effect the startup. If the fuel line is clogged from the gas evaporating (I don't know what to call the stuff, the name eludes me but it is a sludge or a thick film), how can I tell if it wont start because I poured something in the chamber or the fuel isn't getting there? Or should I just not put anything down there and change all the fluids and such and call it good? I just need a little more help then my experience gives me. But again, thank you for the reply.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:35 PM

i believe you are referring to varnish

anyway, i would put something into the cambers to loosen them up a bit, maybe a shot of wd40. i would crank it over by hand a few times before starting it though.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:35 PM

Ok, can do. I'll jump on that this weekend. I'll post afterwards to let you know how it went. Thank you for the reply.

Old 11-08-2006, 09:56 PM
HCF Member

good luck

Old 11-09-2006, 10:15 AM
HCF Member

You should drain and refill the gas tank since the old stale gas will do you no good.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:14 PM

Thanks mikezcdx. I think I could use all the luck I can get with this one!
AgentofDarkness-Was thinking about that. I saw on my friends Del Sol, she had a screw in the tank to drain hers. I'm going to look for that on this one. If not, I got some ideas to do that, thanks.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:39 AM
HCF Member

i would difinetley change oil and drain and refill the cooling system
other than that i would check everysingle thing in the car before i think about drivin it.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:17 AM

Ya. I plan on checking everything. Hell, it was my brothers before he gave it to me. I have no money into it and everything to gain from it. So putting a little in getting it going is no problem. Now, I just need to sell the Jag to get this one modded!