Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car flooded

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Exclamation Help!!! Car flooded...

Alright so this question might sound a bit stupid, but I need to know what I've done to my car and how to fix it. I managed to flood my car. It was raining and I went through a puddle that was too deep for my car to handle (About 1-1 1/2 ft). It's a 2008 civic. I know that I flooded my engine and that I have to get the water out off everything, that's not the problem, somehow when I went through the puddle a plastic piece started to come off the bottom of the car (It's still attached, it's just bent and dragging on the ground), it looks like it's attached to the bumper because the front bumper is also partially coming off. The piece is located across the front of the car just behind where the bumper ends and at the center of the front wheels. I've never heard of something like this happening before, and I'd rather fix it myself. Can anyone tell me what I did and how to fix it?

Last edited by eeve113; 06-29-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 AM
HCF Member

Most cars have some plastic under the front of the cars to help protect the bottom of your car when you back out of your drive way or what ever. Your cheapest and easiest option will be to just cut the broke part off, or you could use zip ties to sort of stitch up the plastic so it doesnt drag, some glue to help secure it more would also be a good idea. Last option is get a new bumper, highly doubt you want to do this tho.

Also why do you say you flooded your engine bay? Does it still run? no cels on? Some water can get in the engine bay but depending on how fast you where going and how big the splash was some water could do some minor damage that is usually fixable by just drying the part. etc the distributor, alternator....

Old 06-30-2010, 12:34 AM
HCF Member

that piece is there to protect the engine from dirt and water. see if you can still bolt it back in place. if not then zip ties would be the next best option or you can just replace the front bumper and the underpanel