Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car bog, exhaust sounds weird

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:14 PM
HCF Member
Default car bog, exhaust sounds weird

The other day a guy behind me passed me on a double yellow and cut me off. I got pissed so I slammed it into 3rd and matted it to catch up to him. The road got curvy up ahead andI flew around them (thank god I had those front and rear strut bars in)so I caught up to him and got on his as with my high beams on.

I felt justifiedafter that.... but today my car seems limp and the exhaust is all raspy and sounds tottaly different. I dunno if I drove my car too hard or what,I hope not.I also got some gas at a gibbs station a couple days ago which I think might be the problem, I usually don't get mine from this place and I've heard bad things. So I bought some Isoheat (drygas) and filled it up from half a tank to full of premium gasat an Irving. Seems to drive a little better but still my exhaust sounds different.
Now I just got my magnaflow cat-back put in in early january, and the header I just put in a month ago. So I hope that there is nothing wrong with the resonator or my pipes. I think that my cat converter might be bad but I dunno. Also when I idle my engine seems to knock a little bit, doesn't just have that normal honda "tick tick tick" sound. I scheduled an apointment at a honda garage in a couple weeks after I get back from florida, and hope it has nothing to do with the $400 exhaust I just put in.
Oh also I didn't change my spark plugs when I used seafoam awhile back and I checked them today and they look like they got a lot of carbon build up. So I bought some new NGK's, haven't put them in yet though.

What would some of you guys do if this started happening to your car, what do you think needs attention first?

Old 05-08-2007, 07:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: car bog, exhaust sounds weird

Anyone still up with some suggestions? If you need more info tell me. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 PM

I had a problem today where my exhaust was VERY vibraty, it was shaking my whole car (just at idle) It went away after a couple minutes though.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

If these are symptoms of my cat-back exhaust starting togo I would like to know, becuase it has a lifetime warranty.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM
HCF Member

My guess would be that you blew a gasket and have an exhaust leak now, common thing to happen when working the engine.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:21 AM

the exhaust may have just "broken in" The fiberglass in the muffler gets hot and hardens after a while making the exhaust louder and raspier. I was pissed when it happened to my cat-back

Old 05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
HCF Member

Things like these always seem to happen when I throw caution to the wind.....so Fiirkan if it is a gasket leak could I just get it welded in that spot oris it justtottaly toast? Could the exhaust sound tottaly different if my cat is damaged from heat or age?

Wow, after I replaced the spark plugs, crazy how much of a difference it made. I just got the basic copper NGK's instead of the platinums. Two of the plugs on the passenger side had a little bit of oil on them, just a little around the washer. Think my v-tec kicks in pretty strong again. But still got the weird sounding exhaust and engine running rough problem.....

Old 05-09-2007, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Live_4it

Things like these always seem to happen when I throw caution to the wind.....so Fiirkan if it is a gasket leak could I just get it welded in that spot oris it justtottaly toast? Could the exhaust sound tottaly different if my cat is damaged from heat or age?

Wow, after I replaced the spark plugs, crazy how much of a difference it made. I just got the basic copper NGK's instead of the platinums. Two of the plugs on the passenger side had a little bit of oil on them, just a little around the washer. Think my v-tec kicks in pretty strong again. But still got the weird sounding exhaust and engine running rough problem.....
lol if it is just a gasket then you just have to replace it, maybe costs a buck for it. if you welded it then you wouldn't be able to take apart your exhaust

Old 05-09-2007, 02:10 PM
HCF Member

How many gaskets are on an exhaust? I'm thinking of taking my car to a mechanic I know who put on my exhaust, instead of the honda dealership. Good idea?

Man I just want my nice deep sound back in my exhaust

I promise I will never race again

Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 PM
HCF Member

well usually only one gasket per connection, but if the fit is off them sometimes ya can stog in 2 or 3. I would just take it to teh guy that did it, the dealership will probably charge ya $50+ for a $1-$2 part. cause they will throw in the labour. If you know the guy he may just charge ya for the gasket if that is the problem,

Quick Reply: car bog, exhaust sounds weird