Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

a/c not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 PM
HCF Member
Default a/c not working

I have a 93 honda civic ex and when i purchased it, the previous owner said it had a leak so i decided to put some freon back in and noticed that the compressor doesn't kick on and the condenser fan won't turn. Where can i begin to check to find out where my problem is. I checked all the fuses and all seem to be good. I also tried jumping the pressure switch and nothing happens. But i did notice that when i turn the a/c button on from inside the car the idle goes up. Please help

Old 07-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Here's where to start:

Is fuse 35 (hood) or 13 (dash) blown? If not, the diagram shows you the location of the condenser fan relay and the compressor clutch relay under the hood.

To test the fan, remove its relay and use a jumper wire to connect the WHT wire to the BLU/BLK wire in the connector. Does the fan run?

To test the compressor clutch, remove its relay and use a jumper wire to connect the WHT wire to the red wire in the connector. Do you hear the compressor engage (click sound)?

Name:  picture_3144.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  94.4 KB

Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 PM
HCF Member

ok thanks i will check it tomorrow. i will let you know

Old 07-22-2009, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

ok i found that the fuse under the hood is blown. replaced it and now my compressor kicks on but the condenser fan still isn't working.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you measure battery voltage to body ground at the WHT wire of the condenser fan relay? If you jump the fan relay (connect WHT wire to BLU/BLK wire in the connector), does the fan run? If all tests fine, then the fan relay may be bad. Save money by testing it before replacing.

Last edited by RonJ; 07-22-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:41 PM
HCF Member

ok ill try that and let u know

Old 07-22-2009, 04:57 PM
HCF Member

ok i do have battery voltage at the white wire and when i jump the white and blu/blk wire the fan looks like it attemps to turn but something is preventing it from turning, like if its stuck. i tried turning it by hand and it doesn't budge freely. is it suppose to be like that?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like the condenser fan motor has seen a better day. Replace it.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

so with the condenser fan not working that will cause the air not to cool even though the compressor works?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The A/C probably would not blow cold with the engine idling if the condenser fan doesn't work. It probably would if the car were moving. If the latter isn't currently true for your car, then there may be an additional problem. Fix the fan and then go from there.

Quick Reply: a/c not working