Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

burning oil/lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Default burning oil/lack of power

hello everyone! last time i posted was in regards to an issue i was having with a 95lx i was borrowing from a friend. i liked driving it for various reasons and decided to purchase one of my own on craigslist a month or 2 ago for 800 dollars. car was in ok shape for being so cheap. its a 93lx 5spd with 209k. car runs pretty well. only issue im having is the burning of oil. when i first start it up in the morning (cold detroit winter) its burns quite a bit of oil. the car accelerates great until the engine is up to proper running temp. once up to proper running temp it doesnt burn much oil unless i really mash on the gas. also the acceleration is quite sluggish/bogging (feels like its missing or not firing) until i hit 4k rpm. as soon as the tach hits 4k its accelerates smoothly and quickly, its like boom 4k and it starts pulling surprisingly hard and burns alotta oil at the 4k mark and beyond. i have to put about a quart of oil in every couple hundred miles (yikes!!) can anyone shed some light on this? i knows its either valve seals or rings or pcv valve maybe?? idk if the oil burning/sluggish acceleration is related? can anyone give me some advice on what it may be? or some tests i may be able to run to help narrow it down to the issue?? sorry for such a long post but i figured the more detailed i was the easier itd be for someone to understand/help me, thanks!!! oh and i forgot to add....the oil is veryyy dark, even after i changed it and constanty add new oil, im guessing sludge, maybe this has something to do with it?? idk just get at me if you have any advice.. thanks again!!!

Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM

any advice??

Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

First disconnect the fuel injectors one at a time with the engine idling to make sure that all 4 cylinders are working. Misfiring at low rpm with heavy throttle is usually weak sparks. Change the plugs and wires (you could test with the wires from your friend's car, thought that is a good way to end up with two broken cars) and check the cap and rotor. The oil burning problem is the rings. Don't mess with the valve seals, when my car was like that I did and it was just a waste of time and money. Keep putting oil in until you can replace the engine.