Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brother messed up my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brother messed up my car

i don't see why you're worrying about this, your brother should be responsible for fixing it and returning it to you in the original condition.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:05 PM
HCF Member

lol thats what i think, but then think again because all he did was change the radio and this happened.......i would be worried if he tried touching any other part of the car

Old 07-19-2007, 06:13 PM
HCF Member

if that's the case, then i would have him either A. give me his car or B. fix it

Old 07-19-2007, 11:46 PM

Ya I hope the guy calls me today

Old 07-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Certainly don't let your brother touch your car again.

That's my least favorite type of repair job, finding and fixing someone elses **** up.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 AM

He told me today that he is going to pull the alarm and install it properly (People installing stuff they don't know how to do it properly). He is also going to swap the computer to see if its fryed. He will call me and let me know in about 6 hours.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:26 PM

Ok after the jerk blew me off 4 times when he said it would be done and it wasn't and would childishly avoid my calls and messed up several things will he fixed the problem. Here is what he told me. When the fuse was poped from him touching the wires together i shot all the way through the system and fried three different things one he said was a cluster and i dont know what that is cause im young and still learning. He said the alarm was wired in wrong and was runing off the wrong power sourse and wasnt protected with fuses. So when the alarm should have shut down the car it just fried a bunch of stuff. He ended up cutting out the alarm systemand got it running after 2 weeks of avoiding me and i had to call his mom (lol) cause his parents had some buisness stuff going with my parents. He also cut stuff he shouldn't of like the power to my gauges, passager head light and my under body kit. He just started his busniess and i can see it is headed straight to no where. I was going to mess with his sti to get even for him f-ing around with me and doing a pore job but what comes around goes around and everyone here knows never to mess with a mans car right

Old 08-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The cluster (more fully: instrument cluster) is the panel in the dash with the gauges, speedometer, etc.

I do understand your frustration. I hear a lot of stories about my friends going to fairly reputable mechanics and still having the car come back with other stuff messed up by them.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

I hear a lot of stories about my friends going to fairly reputable mechanics and still having the car come back with other stuff messed up by them.
One of my biggest pet peeves regarding my rare occasion of having to pay 'professionals' to repair my vehicles.

After the 3rd or 4th majorly expensive repair (that came back worse or with other issues), I've declared my independence from going to mechanics altogether... unless I have a car that's under warranty. There's so much information on the internet about vehicle maintenance anymore, anybody with the ability to look it up, follow basic instructions, and isn't afraid of removing/replacing parts on their car, can fix anything. Specialized issues aside (transmission rebuilds, engine rebuilds, electronic component rebuilds, etc), there isn't anything that anybody can't do themselves without proper preparation. Most auto parts stores will rent or loan out specialty tools as well - so it's a matter of how long can you afford to be without your car running (while you perform the repairs).

I've been burned too many times by 'professionals' to trust anyone except my pals Jim and Dave to turn wrench on my cars. I'm fortunate enough to have several cars, so one or two can be down and I still have wheels, so I'm not knocking anybody that can't do their own repairs in the least. But I think anybody who's interested in at the very least not getting ripped off by all the 'professionals' out there need to learn as much as their cars as possible - if for nothing more than making sure you don't get hosed by the next mechanic you take it to.

</soapbox>

Old 08-04-2007, 08:01 AM
gwl
HCF Member

It can be frustrating for a mechanic to follow up someone else's messes. I been a field tech for over 25 years and usually the last one to look at someone else's problem child. I have to figured out what was the first thing they did when a problem first occured. When people try to troubleshoot the problem with very limited knowledge and/or experience, they usually make the problem worse.

There are a lot of shop that would avoid following up someone else's mess just to avoid the hassles that either your brother or the previous owner created.

Blowing fuses and your PCM are not good signs, what kind experience does he have in car electronics?

Quick Reply: Brother messed up my car