Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brother messed up my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Default Brother messed up my car

I boughta 95 honda civic and didn't properly check it out before i bought it. It ran just fine and my brother changed the stereo and blew the fuse to the stereo. I dont think he is telling me everything that happened. He turnedit off the car and tried to start it a few hourse later and it wouldn't turn over.Now heres what we have found that won't work.
-No spark to the spark plugs.
-No charge to fuel pump.
-Nothing at the ignition coil.
-No power to the main relay.
He changed the fuel pumpfor a new one and nothingchanged.I have a Crimestopper alarm system that i don'tknow if itis causing any problems but i dont know if there is asecurity systems that was put in from honda. Under the dash is a mess and i got a different computer for the car but it was from a automatic and mines standared. I don't know if that matters. My brother didn't unhook the battery when he trade them andit whiched it back to the origaml one. We check all the fuses and the main relay, which has no power if i properly checked. im no machanic but did my best with the manual i have. With the manual it says if there is no power to the main relay check the #2 fuse. I dont know which one is the number to fuse but i have check all the fuses everywhere multiple times and they are all good.

I dont know where to go from here. I am have another guy coming look at it in a few days. I hope he can help point me in the right direction.
If any can help me please tell me. If you need more information on the car i will let you know.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Brother messed up my car

um i know this sounds simple.. but did you try giving it a boost?

Old 06-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If it does nothing at all when you turn the key it's either the battery dead or disconnected or the security system. Do the headlights or brake lights come on when you turn on the headlight switch or step on the brakes? That'll tell you if there is any juice from the battery at all.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Recognized HCF Member

have ya also tried disarming the alarm
if its got a starter kill... that will keep it from turning over and starting.....

or he unpluged a harness somwhere under the dash and didnt plug it back in...
OR the battery is just dead....... try a jump.... if that doesnt work start looking for any electrical plugs under the dash that are unpluged....

and check all the fuses under the dash and under the hood...

and PLEASE tell me he at least used a wiring harness kit on the radio and didnt just HACK AWAY THE STOCK HARNESS..... if he hacked and spliced... DONT let him touch your car again! i hate it when stupid people do that and i gotta figure out thier crapy hack job!

Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 PM

do the dash lights come on when u turn the key, like the usuals that come on before u start a car?

Old 07-01-2007, 10:42 PM

A boost? As in giving the carajump start?

-All the lights work, all the lights work on the dash, the battery is getting low but it turns over.
-The battery is getting low on charge but know it works causethe carturns over.
-Its a CrimeStopper alarm and we checked the manual for that and couldn't find a start kill switch wire to thestarter and couldn't see one that went to the starter. and followed instructions on how to disingage the alarm and no results.
-I worked my way through the manual with a few people and we all found that that the problemswere pointing to the main relay because no power to the fuel pump. We check the main relay and there was no power to the main relay. Then it said to check the #2 fuse, we couldn't locate the number the fuse but check everyone we could find 5 or more times and all good. We got another relay from a junk yard and same results.

What is that button in the truck of some cars where you hit inside the trunk and it resets stuff or hit that button? Sorry dont know how to explain my question that well.

So to sum it up all our problems are heading back to main relay. If someone could unhook their's and see if they have the same troubles? Or ask around for me i would appreciate it?

Old 07-01-2007, 11:27 PM
HCF Member

The main relay isn't wired to everything else in the car. Even if you don't have a main relay, the headlights should still turn on and other electronics should still work. Chances are that the battery is completly dead. Try to jump start it. If that doesn't work, take the battery to be checked to make sure it is still good. If the battery is good, charge it and install the battery. If the car still doesn't start, check the wiring for any melted wires. If your brother did cause a short circuit, some of the wires may have burned out causing the electrical problems (although I don't believe that a radio can cause such a short circuit).

Old 07-01-2007, 11:46 PM

ever consider him toasting your harness?

Old 07-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

That model does not have a crash detecting fuel pump shutdown like some other cars.

Did you check all the fuses in the fuse box under the hood next to the battery too? Are you sure the anti-theft system isn't cutting the fuel pump off by interrupting power to the main relay?

Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Since your brother blown a fuse, there is some damage from shorting. It seems that you have two problems one that is not starting and something is draining your battery.

This is what I would do. If your brother did not use an after market harness, take radio out that your brother put in because this is when your problems all started. Try to reconnect all your connections back to original, don't use the those quickie jumpers, you will need to solder them back together. If they are too short because they were cut, solder some additional wires to make the connections. Also use some heat shrink tube to insulate your solder joints. If you have heat shrink, you can use black electrical tape. Double check your work each time one wire a time.

This sound like a pain, swapping parts in your car will introduce more problems.

If you have a picture of the schematic or wire diagram, you can e-mail it to me so I can help you. I have a 97 Civic, I would think the wiring and colors may be different.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Brother messed up my car