Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

bROKEN WHEELS STUDS...hUB REMOVAL help !

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Default bROKEN WHEELS STUDS...hUB REMOVAL help !

I have a 96 Civic.....Two of my wheel studs broke and I need them changed. I already took of the caliper, rotor, axle nut but the @#$%ing hub won't budge at all....NEED HELP badly! Is there a special tool that i'll need to borrow to take the hub off. Any tips, tricks, ideas, or even suggestions........

Old 06-07-2005, 08:14 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: bROKEN WHEELS STUDS...hUB REMOVAL help !

you have to unstake the bent part, then i usually just pound on it with an impact wrench for a few minutes. you usually need a decent sized impact though. or a really long breaker bar.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:39 PM

What do you mean "unstake the bent part"? What bent part? And an impact wrench is out of the question cause I don't have a compressor or a impact wrench. I wish I did though it would probably be a whole lot easier.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
HCF Member

there is a small portion of the hubnut that is bent into the groove in the axle. you need a fine point chisel to drive in there to push it out of the way. then get a BREAKER BAR (youll break a ratchet) and a good quality socket. then slip a piece of pipe about 3-4 ft long over then end of the bar, and have a friend step on the brakes really hard, and stand on the cheater bar. hopefully it will break loose. be careful though. i almost broke my nose once doing this, I was pushing down with all of my weight and it slipped off and my face slammed into the fender.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:04 PM

Oh....I already got the nut off. I tried pounding the hub out with a regular hammer but the dust plate is in the way and I can only pound one side cause of that. So I guess I just have to KEEP pounding with the hammer. I think I hit that thing for about 5 minutes and it still didn't budge......

Old 06-07-2005, 09:32 PM
HCF Member

hehe the hub/wheelbearing needs to be pressed on and off. there is a little trick if you have a grinder. with the caliper removed you can now see the actual hub portion. grind yourself a notch to where you can unistall and reinstall the wheel studs.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:50 PM

lol, everyones talking about different stuff

Yeah, wheel studs need to pe pressed. Might as well chang all 4 while your at it.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:16 AM
HCF Member

OIC now. yeah, you need to either notch it, or get the hub pressed out by a machinist. if you do that, be prepared to buy a new wheel bearing, as they can break coming out, and its not going to be the machinists fault, as its pretty normal.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:19 PM
HCF Member

you can actually seat the wheel studs using your lig nut(preferably one you dont use anymore) just install it, run a lug nut down the stud till it stops and then hit it either with an impact gun or a breaker bar(turn the nut down) usually does the trick everytime. or you can buy yourself a stud installing tool which is basically the same thing.