Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Default brake noise

hi,

I just got a 2005 Civic EX and found out that once in a while I could hear that the brake makes "clunking" noise (intermittently shows up when pushed lightly). Does anyone ever experience the same thing? On a side note, I never drove a civic before.

Thanks

Old 05-08-2007, 07:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: brake noise

sounds like theres something wrong with your caliper. Either the master cylinder isn't working properly or your brake pad is broken or something stuck in it.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

Maybe his Rotor is warped ?? Does your break pedal pulse when you step on it?

Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 PM

thanks for the replies.
maybe I didn't explain it clearly. is it normal on a civic when you push on the brake pedal, once in a while, you could feel it's a dual stage breaking (it will brake firmly but after you push the brake lightly, you could feel another deeper push that makes a little noise)?

no, it doesn't pulse.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:53 PM
HCF Member

Oh, it could be your ABS kicking in. Does it only do it when your going fast and you brake hard?

Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 PM

not always at high speed, sometimes at low speed also and the dealer couldn't duplicate it earlier (very short drive) but mentioned about "T" which I am not sure what it means.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:11 AM
HCF Member

If it only happens when braking slowly, if you have an auto tranny it could be the transmission shifting down.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:35 PM

I think i know what you're talking about, it happens on my 2000 civic dx, happens sometimes, and only at very low speeds, or sometimes even when i'm just standing still, i'll push in the brake and it will make a "clunk" sounds like it comes from the back of the car though... As far as i know nothing is "wrong" with my car or the breaks, but i have no idea why it does that, everything works fine though.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:59 PM

I'm willing to bet the clunking noise is a ball joint sliding in the socket, everytime you step on the brake it puts torsional forces on your whole suspension assembly which cause the steering knuckle to twist, whacking the ball joint back and forth. Bring your car to a mechanic and have them check the front end.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:57 PM
HCF Member

i have an 05 civic lx w/o the ABS. sometimes when i brake i feel a click or sometimes 2-3 clicks on the brake pedal. i dunno if this is what you're talking about. but i think most honda's have that problem. I had a honda city back home and i also get the same clicking feel when applying the brake. but overall the braking does not get affected... i still get the same stopping power... i just dunno what that click is.. but i feel it's from the calipers.

Quick Reply: brake noise