Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Boosted D15 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Default Boosted D15 problems

Hello,

First off all of the subjects I am about to post I have searched thoroughly and can seem to find little to no answers.

I recently purchased a 1994 civic VX HB. D15Z1 1.5 16VSOHC VTEC-E PGM-FI. 5speed.

Aftermarket turbo, manifold, piping etc.

Here is the issue I have encountered and cannot seem to find an answer too:

Blow by. The valve cover is blowing its gasket and leaking a considerable amount of oil. With the oil cap off, there is a considerable amount of smoke and air pressure coming from the uncovered hole. Same with the breather port on the opposite end of the cover.

It is my understanding that if the PCV system was working correctly that there would be a vacuum instead of the opposite from the valve cover. Correct?

Does the PCV valve on these cars rattle like a regular PCV when good? It is a huge unit also, is there a retrofit/replacement unit for this?

I purchased another motor (D15B7 1.5 16VSOHC PGM-FI 1493) with 40K miles that is a non VTEC, I have been told that it is better to boost a non VTEC motor rather then the opposite because of compression issues. It is my understanding that a turbo works better on a lower compression motor rather than a higher.

The question is this, apparantly, (and I am assuming that you will tell me the same) my piston rings are blown or something that will require a complete tear down and rebuild in the current motor in the car. Would it be more efficeint to swap in the other motor rather than tear down and rebuild?

Also, should I boost the other motor with the same turbo/manifold etc. Or just run a header and CAI? Does boosting a car make it have better gas mileage?

I am sure I missed something, but at this point I think I have covered enough to get my questions out on the table.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any help you can render.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Default RE: Boosted D15 problems

Alright so I dug into the PCV thing and found out that the large unit on the back side of the motor isnt the PCV at all, its just another large orifice that is part of the PCV system. (This I could have learned quite quickly had someone taken the time to post) The actual PCV is inserted into the side of this large black thing. Changed the completly plugged old PCV valve out, however I fear it is too late...it didnt fix my issue. It did improve it a little bit. Sometimes the hole in the valve cover will have vacuum on it, other times it will blow smoke and have pressure blowing outwards.

As far as the valve cover gaskets...I added spacers on top of the rubber grommets that the bolts run through. Therefore more force holding the valve cover down....therefore no more gaskets blowing and leaking all over my manifold.

I must say however that the aftermarket replacement spark plug tube seals absolutely suck. I couldnt find a honda dealership that would sell me the factory ones...(with the metal inserts). So...the fel pro went in....and now leaks a little bit on cylinder one. A little RTV fixed that issue...

What more can I say...

Thanks for all your help? HAHA. Sure.